cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi connects to some devices but not others!

nikkispink
Tuning in

We have had what I think is the Hub 3.0 for just over a year and it seems that it connects fine to some devices and then occassionally decides to almost 'block' a device for no reason. It happened with our Roku box, it just comes up as not able to connect to network (via wifi) so we ended up getting a new Roku box and it worked fine for ages but now again the same thinghas happened and I don't think it is an issue with the roku box. More importatntly it has just happened with my laptop too, just yesterday my laptop can not connect to the network via wifi but when plugged with an ethernet cable it connects. It also happens with my android phone quite often where I will suddenly have a message saying 'access denied' to the wifi network.

Can it be that I have to access the Hub 3.0 somehow to allow these devices to be connected? Should it suddenly change? How can I fix this so that all the devices are able to connect without problem?

I should also say that they are all within range of the wifi, very close to the router when this is happeneing so it's not an issue with the strength of signal.

Thanks 🙂 

62 REPLIES 62

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
connect it by cat5e/6 ethernet cable and see if that works. if it does it just means your wifi signal is poor at the location of the V6.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Cheers for the reply, mate.

As mentioned before, the internet connection works when connected via Ethernet. 

Regarding the signal strength, the 2g wifi appears as 2 out of 3 on the windows icons BUT with a yellow star next to it . Any suggestions on how I can check the signal strength of the 2g band wifi. In network properties, there is a link speed in Mbps. 

Hi whuelse,

You could try turning off the 5g connection on your router leaving this with only the 2g connection active and run a speed test on that.

You can turn off the 5g connection in your router settings, please see the information on the below link to advise how this is done, if you're unsure

192.168.0.1 and then the password you need will be on the bottom of the hub as settings password, not the password on the pull out card thats given.

The below link has all the details about changing your settings

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-turn-off-wireless#hub3

Please give this a try and let me know if it works.

Thanks

Steven_L

Cheers Steven.

Well, the results of this step were pretty interesting. Here we go. 

Action - Switch off 5g and restart the SH3

Result - After restart, passwords were reset but SSIDs were not (partial symptoms of the other problem 1 where router has memory loss but this time it was like 'Memento' 😉) .

But 2g was connected  and granted access to the Internet. (problem 2 solved)  

Enabled 5g again. Now both bands remained connected.

Thanks 

JJ1989
Joining in

I’ve had the same problem yesterday with some devices connecting to the hub 3.0 but no internet connection.

after awhile of resetting the hub and devices  i noticed the IP address on my nest thermostat was 192.168.192.24 which it should be 192.168.0.24. Basically even though I signed into the hub it got the ip address from the horizon box. 
a quick work around, turn off horizon box and reset network in devices not working. Check ip address and turn horizon box back on.

hope this is helpful

ScreamingGun
Joining in

I am having a similar problem with my Roku Express. 

When I initially got the Roku, I had a problems trying to connect it to the internet using my Home Hub 3. Eventually, I set up a guest network for use only with the Roku. This worked successfully until Monday, when I turned on the TV and there was no internet connection. The Roku shows a successful Wi-fi connection but no internet. I know the internet is working because my other devices are working. I have tried a reset of both the Roku and the Home Hub with no success. The Roku will not connect to the main network either. I have also tried some of the tips on this thread, checking the IP address and disabling the 5GHz frequency with no success. 

I would be grateful for any advice, as when I telephoned Virgin all they could offer was a chargeable call with their gadget team. 

Hi ScreamingGun,

Thank you for your post & welcome to the community. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue. 

Can you confirm what message you're getting when you try to connect?

^Martin

The Roku shows error 009. 

It tries to connect to the network and shows a green tick for Wi-fi but then no internet access. 

Thank you for that. I have taken a look into this on our side and everything is showing okay on your account and we are not aware of anything affecting this. 

Have you checked out Roku forum to see if there is anything posted there that could help: https://community.roku.com/

^Martin

Hi Martin,

Yes, I’ve followed the steps on the Roku forum with no joy. 

It will connect when I use my iPhone as a hotspot, which I why I suspect that there is an issue with my Wi-fi settings. 

Thanks.