forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
ultrazonix
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi connected but connection constantly dropping...

We switched from Plusnet to Virgin due to a special offer but am now beginning to regret the move. We live in a very small 3 bedroom house and have around 10 devices connected to our Hub 3.0. I'm unfortunately finding that although the Wifi shows as connected, it is randomly disconnecting. If I disconnect from the wifi on my laptop, it reconnects and continues working for a period of time. The same is happening on my mobile devices and on our Firesticks which is proving very frustrating as we have to completely restart the firestick and re-enter a password before we get the wifi working. Even more confusing, some devices will stay connected whilst others disconnect - Its as though there are too many devices connected and the hub is "bumping" one off, but I read that the hubs can take up to 20 devices and we only have around 6-8 devices online at any one time. We only connected with Virgin recently and are just outside of our cool down period, but at the moment are really regretting making the change. If we lived in a larger house, I'd suggest that the problem could be the distance from the wifi hub, but I am in the room directly above it in a new build house (paper thin walls etc) and the problem is occuring on several devices. We have tried moving the hub around which we thought worked for a couple of days where we had no issue, but now we are back to square one and I got very little done yesterday apart from learning how to "Tribal scream" at a professional level. Any assistance would be appreciated. A
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wifi connected but connection constantly dropping...

Assuming your wired connections are all ok (are they?) then as VM don’t “guarantee” speeds over wifi (only ethernet cables) they only now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those.

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless equipment which will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Get either a…
(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
ultrazonix
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John, we would much rather pay for the new router than pay £5 extra per month but honestly for the size of our house (less than 900square feet), I'm failing to see why the WiFi would not stretch less than 10 meters.

When I was tearing my hair out earlier today, I was sat less than 5 meters away from the router. When I then connected the ethernet cable, everything seemed to work fine.O

OurPlusnet router worked fine and was a much cheaper and nastier looking router. Is there a way we can set that up for the broadband to check if the router is the problem? Alternatively, are there settings within the router that we can tweak to problem solve?  

Thanks again for the assistance.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Try this...

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
ultrazonix
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you John,will give it a go. It may take a week or so to respond as I'm going to change one thing at a time to see if it improves things all. 

Really appreciate your help. 

0 Kudos