Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wifi channel switching doesn't stick

Super Hub 3, I've disabled automatic channel switching and set it to manual. Channels 36-44 are super congested (block of flats) - so I switch it to channel 64 (DFS channel but nothing else is on it) - perfect wifi through the flat. For 5 minutes. It switches back automatically to channels 36-44

How do I stop it switching channels automatically!? I've set it to manual and turned off channel optimization, what do I do this is driving me crazy!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi channel switching doesn't stick

Hi izaldinali, 

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. 

I am afraid our Smart Wifi service is why the channels switch automatically. We are unable to stop this from happening unless the feature is switched off.

Please let me know if we can assist further. 

Nat
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks can you let me know how to disable it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@izaldinali wrote:

Super Hub 3, I've disabled automatic channel switching and set it to manual. Channels 36-44 are super congested (block of flats) - so I switch it to channel 64 (DFS channel but nothing else is on it) - perfect wifi through the flat. For 5 minutes. It switches back automatically to channels 36-44

How do I stop it switching channels automatically!? I've set it to manual and turned off channel optimization, what do I do this is driving me crazy!

Channel 64 is a Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) channel that is that enables WLANs to use 5 GHz frequencies that are generally reserved for radars.

When support for DFS is enabled, it will be necessary for Wi-Fi access points to verify that any radar in proximity is not using DFS frequencies. This process is called Channel Availability Check, and it’s executed during the boot process of an access point (AP) as well as during its normal operations.

If the AP detects that a radar is using a particular DFS channel, then it will exclude that channel from the list of available channels. This state will last for 30 minutes, after which the AP will check again if the channel can be used for Wi-Fi transmissions.

The Channel Availability Check performed during the boot process can take anywhere between 1 and 10 minutes,  depending on which country you’re in. For this reason, DFS channels are not immediately available when an AP boots.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos