Menu
Knibbsy1
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wifi booster

To improve the range of my Hub 3 I've invested in some tp-link deco M5 boosters. These have been set up, with their own wifi network, and work very well - the range and strength of the signal has improved.

But I'm getting a problem with my Sonos speakers which keep losing the separate network

It has been suggested that I switch off the Virgin Wifi as this might be causing conflict -I s that correct/possible?

If I do switch off the virgin wifi will the other ethernet connections that I run off the hub ( to Blue ray player, you view box etc) be affected - and if so how do I overcome this.

Simple step answers please I'm not that technical

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi booster

You need to run the hub in modem mode 

Ethernet connections then need to be made via the M5’s - if you need more ports you’ll need to get a desktop switch. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Knibbsy1
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply - running it in modem mode - is that just a case of turning off the wifi?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No you need to go into the settings and change if from Router Mode to Modem Mode.

I assume you currently have the M5’s setup in Bridge/AP mode?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Put the hub in modem mode using the M5s as the router.  The Virgin Wi-Fi will no longer be active,  The landline phone port will still work as normal, if you have a Virgin phone line delivered that way.

Once in modem mode, only one Ethernet port will be active on the hub - which goes to the first M5 unit.

The other Ethernet port on the M5 can be used to connect another device.

If you need several Ethernet ports use a gigabit switch - 5 port versions are available for around ten to twenty quid online, on Amazon etc.  Buy one with enough ports for your current/likely future needs.

In my set up I have hub in modem mode single Ethernet cable to own router and then, because there are several set top boxes, smart TV, smart heating controller etc. I have an 8 port gigabit switch to provide additional ports.

So a bit like this;

• Get an Ethernet switch
  • Make sure you have enough power sockets as there will be additional power plugs - get an extension power outlet strip/extension lead if necessary
  • Check you have enough Ethernet cables
  • Put hub in modem mode using the settings menu and reboot
  • Connect all the Ethernet cables, doing the one to the hub last
  • M5 should obtain a public Ethernet address (internet connection)
  • Check it's working
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
Knibbsy1
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - really helpful

0 Kudos
Tomster414
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi.  Do you need a laptop or pc to do this? I only have tablet and smart phone etc.. the 3.0 router virgin gave me is worse for WiFi range than the previous one they had supplied. And the range it has to cover is not far on the same floor. 

0 Kudos
Knibbsy1
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I set the network up via the tp-link app on my mobile

i will use my laptop to change into modem only as it’s just easier to use. Currently awaiting delivery of extra Ethernet ports

0 Kudos