Menu
Jamiethestokie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wifi and booster problems

My virgin broadband wifi quality has always been intermittent - sometimes great but mostly poor. I lived with it given that virgin gave me a booster which I used with an ethernet cable to connect my work laptop to the internet throughout the lockdown period. Occasionally the booster would start to fall over so us follow the user guide and repair them. It was a pain but we eaked our way through. 

With my kids going back to school a few weeks ago (and not using wifi during the day) i’d assumed my experience using my work laptop via the booster would improve. It's got dramatically worse. 

Nothing has changed - the location of the booster is the same, the settings are the same, I'm still connecting the laptop to the booster via an ethernet cable, it's the same laptop. But for the last few weeks the service has been terrible. If I have to do a teams call now, I have to leave the workspace and booster and go and sit on top of the hub. 

I've tried everything - multiple times - from resynching the boosters (continually )  to factory reset (multiple times). 

The connect app is a joke. It's so random and inconsistent. When I get the message on my laptop from virgin that there's a connection problem the app says everything is good. 

The call centres aren't great either. Usually they try and blame it on a network outage, or something to do with the router. We do the 30 second pen reset (multiple times) give it 24 hours and it's still inconsistent. I've been passed from pillar to post. There's no resolution. So you talk about cancelling the service and they but you with the £240 charge... When you argue the service isn't working as previously there's no response - you just go back through the loop of a reset of the hub. 

Can anyone help? Is there anything I can do?

If there's an issue with the router or the booster should I buy a new one? And replace the hub3 ( which I've read isnt good)? I'd rather spend 250 quid on some new kit than give it to virgin who've been so poor. 

Or should I bite the bullet and switch service and go back to sky or bt and refuse to pay the cancellation fee? 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi and booster problems

If you cancel, ‘refusing’ the cancellation fee will likely bring debt collectors and a bad credit score.

Better to raise a formal complaint and take it to CISAS if necessary.

Technical options include getting your own router or mesh system and using the hub in modem mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You can’t leave your contract penalty free because of Wifi issues 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Jamiethestokie
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks!

I have an orbi mesh system - I think because the broadband service is so poor it just extends a poor service. I haven’t noticed any improvement using it. I am wondering if I should but an orbit/netgear router. Are there any routers that wouldn't work with virgin, do you know? 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Orbi should have the ability to act as a router as well.

What model do you have?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Jamiethestokie
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have the outdoor extender. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you’re going to stick with Orbi it makes sense to get a router from that eco-system