Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wifi access in my shed

I want to get wifi in my shed which is about 15m away from my hub.  I plan to install an ethernet cable from the Virgin Hub to another router or device in the shed that will broadcast wifi around the shed and garden.  I'm not sure exactly how to do this, information on the net is hughe and sometimes contradictory.  If I use a router I've read that I should put the hub into modem mode, does this not stop it broadcasting wifi?  This is no good for me as I need the Hub to continue broadcasting wifi for the house.  Is there a way I can run a cable from the virgin Hub 3.0 connect to a router and have wifi everywhere?  Any help from knowledgeable people would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wifi access in my shed

You can leave your Hub in Router mode.

Just make sure that any ethernet cable you purchase is suitable for outdoor use.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can leave the hub in router mode, but that means you must use a Wireless Access Point for the shed.  In practice, most WAPs are routers, but the user configures them in WAP mode.  This would probably be suitable.  You can certainly buy more capable devices, but they'll be more expensive and I suspect offer little benefit for your described use.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As already said. Leave Hub as is and just use a good quality Cat6 external grade ethernet cable to connect it to the shed.
You might consider also getting ethernet switches (Netgear £15 on Amazon) - maybe one on the end of the cable in the shed and/or one at the Hub. These will allow you to connect more devices by ethernet - which is always the best way to connect things when you can(e.g. a smart TV and games console in the Shed 🙂 )
Then a cheap wireless access point is all you will need in the shed.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.