Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wifi Settings / Dropping Off / Firestick

Hi folks,

A little help would be much appreciated.

In a nutshell, i have 2.4 and 5 enabled on my Virgin3 hub.  I regularly lose connection on my Amazon firestick and alexa devices.  Andthe wifi speed is all over the place.

When i lose the Amazon connections, i go into the amazon settings and try to move them from 2.4 to 5.  I dont really know why i have both 2.4 and 5 enabled, and if life wouldbe easier if i had only one of these?  I also find that i have to regularly re-boot the hub.  Is there something i can do in the settings set up on the hub to stop this happening?

I am in an area where i should be getting well over 100 megabits.  Some days i do and others it can be 20-40.

The tech guy at virgin said it was because i have a lot of devices on the wifi that i had issues.  We have about 7 in total.  Laptop, two ipads, Alexa, Hive and x2 mobiles.  This seemed a little lbit of an excuse and he refused to send anyone out.

Any help or comments appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi Settings / Dropping Off / Firestick

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name [SSID] > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name [SSID] > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub then reboot using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your Wi-Fi again.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

When you connect the devices do it at the furthest point from the Hub that the device will be used.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Agree with Mike, and also note some Firestick's can be setup as wired, so negate the need for wifi, and will give a more consistent result with no interference.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
I tried to hard wire the stick via a powerline adaptor but strangely once conncted it would not recognise any of the downloaded apps on the stick.

Thanks for the reply - i appreciate it.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate the prompt response Mike. I have made the changes, hopefully will have the desired affect.

Thanks, Andy
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Power Line Adaptors can be very good or as much use as a piece of string between two bean cans.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos