Menu
Nilock
Just joined
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wifi Pods

Hi,

For context, we have the Gig1 service with the new Hub 4. As expected, we have WiFi blackspots around the home but when I originally ordered the service, the agent would not let me order the new pods to boost the signal. I can now see that Virgin has stopped taking orders/registrations for them. 

Does anybody know if there is another way to order them? I'm loathed to put all the Nest Wifi kit back in that used to blanket the place with WiFi. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi Pods

@Nilock  I'm loathed to put all the Nest Wifi kit back in that used to blanket the place with WiFi. 

Why?  Any third party mesh system will work better than the "pods", where the hub has to run software emulation of a Plume router.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Nilock
Just joined
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

I certainly can add it back in - was just sold the Hub 4 and the Pods would work better but perhaps I shouldn't have listened to the sales agent! Will do some digging on putting Hub 4 into router moe. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The pods are a reasonably good solution, and (for those getting them free) they're well worth trying.  But better than any discrete mesh system?  Not likely.

Your Nest system (or my TP-Link Deco setup, or similar) were designed from the very outset by a single company to function as a mesh.  The VM hub was designed as combined cable modem/basic wifi router by Arris.  Some six years or later, Plume designed their wifi pods to work with the Plume mesh controller, and two years after that VM then had somebody program a Plume router emulator to run on the hub's limited spare RAM and processing capacity.  All very clever (and I do mean that) but in all honesty which is going to be the superior solution?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I also believe the Pods require a single SSID and Smart Optimisation to be on.  A disaster for some 3rd party IoT that require split SSID's and manual channel selection.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nilock, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with blackspots. We can certainly look at getting a pod ordered for you. If you are on the 1GB service then it would be free. 

I would need to check to ensure there are coverage issues on the line before we can get it sent out though. 

I will pop you a private message regarding this, and will check things further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos