cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Pods not Seamless

vitthalwaghmare
Tuning in

Hi,

I currently have 3 Wifi pods (the new intelligent ones) at my home, one upstairs and two downstairs. Going between them, the wifi connection is never seamless. For example, my wifi call will drop if I go from upstairs to downstairs (funnily enough this happened when calling VM) and if I am on video call, it will say "reconnecting" for a little bit then connect again.

It is very frustrating that in my own home I do not have seamless wifi which the intelligent wifi pods are supposed to address via a mesh wifi network, they do not act like a mesh network.

Any suggestions on how to make them act like a seamless mesh wifi network? (I did try call VM but the advisors were no help and said all they can do is send signals and technicians don't assist with wifi pods)

9 REPLIES 9

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It sounds as if there is a break in coverage between the pods. They do need a reasonable overlap in their coverage to allow a proper handover.  I would install one of the WiFi signal apps and do a signal strength survey to see if the pods are in the best locations. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
VM poor attempt of giving an inch and people wanting a mile.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you got the pods in the correct location. For normal use they should be equidistance between the hub and the target machine, not in the same room.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I have had the pods and yes you are correct if you move around you dont automatically connect to another pod if you signal gets weak, I have had pods from the beta stage and to be honest they arnt the best, but ok for free. They just need to get them working on the Hub 5.

Why would anybody expect a cheapskate ISP hub, running mesh router emulation software on a puny, underpowered CPU to do the job of a proper mesh system?  We're comparing a shonky hub running firmware homebrewed by VM to systems purpose designed by companies who make hardware for a living, know what they're doing, and have a reputation to protect? 

The VM pods are pretty good for many people (especially if free).  But I'd never expect them to work as well as a proper mesh setup - if people want that, the answer is to buy one.  Like I have.

Ok looking at the thread (which is what I thought I would expect, but wanted to hold off buying :P), I will persue buying my own kit for my house.

What WiFi 6 router and mesh system would this forum recommend? (Can be different router and mesh combinations)

Cheers

what budget was you thinking?
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking of the TP-Link Deco X20, but saw a comment and actually realised the image also shows this, the system isn't a 'true' mesh system as it connects to the base 'router'. Opinions?

Good question, I don't plan on something very expensive, however I am happy to pay for something good and future proof. My requirement is wifi 6, not sure if I need dual or tri band but seems like dual will be enough for me?