cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Pods Interference with Sky Boosters?

DougTemplar
Tuning in

Hi folks,

Seeking some advice before I try and go down the wifi pod route. 

We live in a mid 3 storey, mid terraced house with concrete floors. 

Our virgin hub is on the top floor (there's a cable on the outside of the house) so the modem was in the study. We've got two V6 boxes plugged in for whatever cable they use for TV - but both run on wifi for network stuff. The only way we can get a working network signal to the ground floor V6 box is to use a homeplug/powerline connection into a tp-link wifi enabled router direct from the Hub into the homeplug. 

For years this worked fine, we had to occasionally reboot the tp-link router to try and find a less busy channel but otherwise no issue.

However since our neighbours have all upgraded their wifi as everyone works from home, we are finding that our tp-link router is dropping signal regularly (3 or 4 times between noon and midnight) interrupting the TV and tablets etc. We've gone from seeing 3 or 4 networks on a wifi scanner to seeing between 8 and 9. I expect everyone has encountered the issues we did years ago and have just got more and more Wifi boosters from Sky and BT to solve their network issues rather than powerline. 

I'm aware that of course channel contention is an issue at the best of times with so many competing  networks near by and I would love to just ethernet all the fixed machines instead of using powerline but that's impractical to set up. But I'm wondering if we tried to get Wifi Pods would they be drowned out effectively as we would be the last of the neighbours to install and they will all have their optimised set up already, and even if they aren't drowned out will we still manage good connection via Wifi?

The complicating factor of course is the concrete floors which really do a number on the connections and is why I suspect everyone else has maxed out their home wifi network options.

Has anyone any advice on options here - other than moving house of course! 

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey DoughTemplar, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear you are having some connection issues.

I have taken a look from my side and I can see there is currently a short term Connectivity Issue which is due to last for the next 24 hours.

However as we don't also guarantee our equipment to work with any 3rd party and when it does it won't work 100% it might be worth trying a WIFI pod from us instead.

The best way to get a pod order is download the Virgin Connect app, from here do a scan.

If the scan picks up that you need a pod it will allow you to order some.

However they can be chargeable depending what package you on.

They are free on Volt, 1GB or Oomph bundles. 

Please let me know how you get on. Thanks  

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matt,

I can't get the Connect App to report anything it seems to sit there for ages and doesn't seem to connect to my network at all. So I have no functionality with the app.  I also don't know if the issue for the Connect App is due to the age of my smart phone and the fact it only works on 2.4Ghz band for wifi.

Of course at this rate the only way we will figure out if the WifiPods will even work with the set up we have an the interference we have from our neighbours is to get one I guess?

Hello DougTemplar,

Thank for your reply.

Looking at your Hub Levels from here. The Downstream powers is slightly out. This can contribute towards the drops in connection.

It's easy to fix by arranging a Technician to attend.

We can also look at relocating the Hub to a more central location, if that is something you might consider.

And Finally the speed you are subscribed to does qualify for free Pods.

We send then one at at time though. So to get the hone covered it may take a week or two.

I will send you private message to arrange a time for us to come round and fix the power levels.

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L