Menu
Off_switch
Up to speed
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wifi-Mesh and similar

The people who write on here all seem to be well informed and use lots of graphs and “techiespeak”. 
I however am a wifi idiot. My hub 3 (100mbs) is plugged in and it works well with TV and my devices. So I leave it alone purring in the corner. 
When my family last visited (last year!) and worked from my home, (thats a further two adults and two teenagers) there were complaints that WIF dropped out. The suggestion was to improve the wifi I needed a Mesh or something similar. In the Sunday Times this week 31/1) various things were discussed. (Devolo magic 2, Amazon, Mesh). 
So my question to you very techie experienced guys is, help- what would be best for my three bed semi? OR Is the VM offered booster likely to be enough?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi-Mesh and similar

"The wifi's dropping out" is a frequent complaint, and one that can have a vast number of causes, half of which are to do with the broadband, not the wireless.  If you're on the 100 Mbps speed, problems may have been that your upstream capacity was maxed out, because the 10 Mbps up could easily be fully utilised by two or three adults and a couple of kids.  The other common problem at the moment is that VM coax networks are often saturated due to all the home working and schooling, leading to spikes in response times that can appear to users as "dropouts".  Hopefully that will be resolved when we get out of lockdown, because it isn't something that you have any control over, nor is there much VM can do about it (although pretending there's no problem doesn't help). 

If you still want to improve your wifi, buy a £70-£130 mesh system.  The Tenda Nova MW3 is a great budget buy for a 100 Mbps user, but it will always be limited to 90-100 Mbps because that's the speed of its ethernet ports, and thus the maximum you'll be able to get on the link from the hub to the first mesh unit.  If you want something a bit more proof against any future speed upgrade, then anything with gigabit ethernet ports at that sort of price would be good.  I use a TP-Link Deco M4 which has been excellent, one of the (surprisingly) most gratifying tech buys for a very long time, even though I was originally worried that I was wasting a decent slug of cash.  As a simple guide, I'd say avoid Google, Amazon, BT mesh offers - they all work competently, but they're all normally pricey for what they offer (and the same goes for the VM pods if you have to pay the rental charge).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Off_switch wrote:

The people who write on here all seem to be well informed and use lots of graphs and “techiespeak”. 
I however am a wifi idiot. My hub 3 (100mbs) is plugged in and it works well with TV and my devices. So I leave it alone purring in the corner. 
When my family last visited (last year!) and worked from my home, (thats a further two adults and two teenagers) there were complaints that WIF dropped out. The suggestion was to improve the wifi I needed a Mesh or something similar. In the Sunday Times this week 31/1) various things were discussed. (Devolo magic 2, Amazon, Mesh). 
So my question to you very techie experienced guys is, help- what would be best for my three bed semi? OR Is the VM offered booster likely to be enough?

Thanks!

unless you're on the ultimate oomph of 1gig package, the VM supplied option comes at a cost of £5 per week. There's been a few posts around here of it performing poorly, but it's possible that for the vast majority of users it works.. if it's free to you, it's certainly worth trying it before you shell out some cash.

if it's not free, you're better off buying your own equipment and using that instead. There's a lot of positive reviews around here of the TP-Link Deco prouct line (starts at about £100 and goes up to ~£350). 

The biggest consideration when buying a mesh is probably whether you buy a tri-band or dual-band system.  The benefit of a tri-band is that it has an additional radio in it that is dedicated to backhauling traffic between mesh nodes.  If you go for a dual-band then the backhaul has to share the same radio as all of the devices that you connect to it. Choosing one or the other really comes down to how many devices you intend to connect to the mesh and what sort of performance you want from it.. i imagine that a dual band is probably fine for "most" users.. but something to consider.

The next consideration is whether you want to future proof yourself a little an opt for a wifi-6 mesh, which is the latest greatest wifi specification. Wifi-6 provides faster connections to client devices that support it - you may have a couple of devices that support it, but it's more likely that the bulk of your devices support the previous standard (AC) and so wont make use of the wifi-6 speeds..

As for which options specifically; the TP-Link Deco M4 is the entry-level, a 3 mesh unit should be plenty for a 3 bed semi (may even get away with a 2 unit) The M5 is the next step up and the M9 is the tri-band offering.

If you want to go up to the Wifi-6 spec, then the X20 and X60 are options.

There are similar offerings from Asus, Netgear which i guess are "premium" brands and also from Tenda, which is more of a budget offering.. you  won't go wrong with something from Asus, Netgear or TP-Link though.  

sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My peronal experience a BT whole Wi-Fi 2x disc for £99. If you buy a low spec mesh now and later upgrade internet speed the hardware may struggle.

My BT kit managed M100 and after upgrading recently to M200 it still delivers 210+ mbs to every corner of the house including the rear extended kitchen.

IMO Wi-Fi 6 is early days so not many clients use it and be many years before it's common in house. My Wi-Fi printer only connects to 2.4G on Wi-Fi 5 🙂

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@tehwolf wrote:

@Off_switch wrote:

Thanks!

unless you're on the ultimate oomph of 1gig package, the VM supplied option comes at a cost of £5 per week. There's been a few posts around here of it performing poorly, but it's possible that for the vast majority of users it works.. if it's free to you, it's certainly worth trying it before you shell out some cash.

by week, i obviously meant month

Off_switch
Up to speed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Andruser and the other posts here. Really helpful.

i think it is a wifi issue because when the son came back and hard wired his comp to the hub, it never dropped out whilst everyone else was still using their devices.

I will now explore the options.

REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP HERE EVERYONE!

Thanks!.,

0 Kudos