Menu
nick_1087
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi Keeps dropping

OK are you sitting comfortably

my Wifi Keeps dropping, my wired connections are fine so I thought I would ring VM for some assistance.

Phoned the number and get an automated message saying there are problems in my area, try again in 24 hours, then the call ends

Used the chat, as the phone just hangs up,

First Person asks a few questions and says he is not the person for the issue and puts me in another chat queue for the relevant person.

after 2 hours there is a message from a person but I did not respond within 5 minutes and I am put in the queue again, this time for 4 hours

after some checks and a request to reset my hub to factory default, change settings that were already set at the value

4 days later

The "automated Diagnostic Tool" has suggested changing settings after interrogating my hub. These setting are already at the values they recommend.

asked to reset my hub again, ironically this takes over 5 minutes which puts me back in the queue.

2 hours later asked to change settings to values that are already set.

its at this point I tell them that the values are for the 2.4Ghz band my device I am on and have lost wifi 7 times while on the chat is 5Ghz to which I get the response

nick_1087_0-1600145356484.png

Michael, I am trying best in resolving your issue but whatever I am saying you are informing us that you have already done it..

I inform them, again, that my wired connections are fine, it is not a problem with my broadband as my wifi drops when transfering files form my NAS plugged into my hub to my laptop 2 meters away from my hub on wifi

the last message I receive of the individual is

Michael, I am sorry.

I am providing the resolution to get this issue sorted for but I see that you are it is not helping me in go through it.

Please understand.

Sorry Virgin Media, I do not understand how changes made to a Wifi Band my devices is not using is going to help

I dont how you expect me to wait up to 24 hours for a response on your chat but if I dont respond within 5 minutes I am at the back of the queue

I dont understand the reluctance of the chat staff that if the fault doesnt conform to their flow chart that they do not pass it on to someone who has a different flow chart.

I dont understand that when one of your colleagues calls me and the call drops they do not ring back (buy the way at home I use wifi calling and when the call dropped the wifi dropped)

Virgin Media, Save money, ditch the offshore call centres and publish the flow charts on your website

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi Keeps dropping

Welcome to Wi-Fi

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

if you remove all the internal walls, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from a VM Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is very poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

When you connect the devices do it at the furthest point from the Hub that the device will be used.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
nick_1087
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply

I would expect some fluctuation during the day, after all weather does effect RF.

However it is a total loss of power on my SSID.

I asked my neighbour who is also on the same channel if they could turn off their wifi router for a bit and my Anritsu Sitemaster showed total loss of RF for the channel I am using when my wifi dropped. (I have changed the channel and the same was observed)

for the 5Ghz band there is 2 channel separation from other channels that are useable.

there is a 40dB difference from the nearest signal on the same channel.

my Hub is 2 meters away unobstructed line of sight with a RxLevel of -51dBm in normal operation.

if I put an external wifi router on and put my hub into modem mode the wifi stays up with no issues.

These issues are relatively new, a few weeks, but VM seem reluctant to say there is an intermittent hardware fault with their hub

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@nick_1087 wrote:

Thanks for the reply

... snip ...

if I put an external wifi router on and put my hub into modem mode the wifi stays up with no issues.

These issues are relatively new, a few weeks, but VM seem reluctant to say there is an intermittent hardware fault with their hub

I think you have partially sussed the answer to your problem.

Either hold out for VM to give you a replacement Hub that might not be as good as the current one or put a third party router into the LAN.

You can contact VM to report the problem using ...

Text service on 07533051809

150 from Virgin landline.

0345 454 1111 from any other UK  phone.

The best time to call is weekdays 08:00 to get a UK agent, anything after 10:00 you must realise that you are quite likely to get through to an offshore agent that doesn't speak English as a first language.

Or you can wait on here for one of the VM Staff to pick up the thread but this may take a few days.

0 Kudos