Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wifi Intermittent but Ethernet fine

For the last few days our wireless connection has been repeatedly dropping out intermittently but the wired ethernet connection has been fine the entire time. How can we fix this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wifi Intermittent but Ethernet fine

Try this ...

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Chanel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Chanel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you WiFi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

Once you have done that carry out speed checks at speedtest,net and post the results for WiFi and ethernet cable connections.

What is your contracted speed?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

In addition to MikeRobbo's questions, what model of Virgin Media hub do you have?  It will say on the base. If you have a Superhub, or a Superhub 2 then it may be that the device is coming to the end of its life, in which case you can request the newer Hub 3 free of charge, although when you get that you should make the same changes to settings that MikeRobbo recommends.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks! That seems to have done the trick.

I'm on the M200 broadband package with a Hub 3.0 installed.

The speed check results:

Ethernet: 180Mbps download and 19Mbps upload

2G Wireless: 26Mbps download and 17Mbps upload

5G Wireless: 1Mbps download and 16Mbps upload (so may be an issue there?)

Thanks once again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There;s still something not right.  As a comparison, my Hub 3 on a M200 line was delivering about 70 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and around 170 Mbps on 5 GHz.  Unfortunately I can't think what it might be!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Possibly the devices need to reconnect?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos