Menu
AdamWifi
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wifi Drops Out HP Win10

Hi - for the past several months my WiFi keeps dropping out on my HP elite book Win10 device. It will show as connected but when on teams or searching the internet it says my connection is disconnected. I then have to disconnect and reconnect to the hub to get it to work.

I have tried: 

• Turning off smart wifi
  • Factory resetting hub
  • splitting wifi channels into 2.4 and 5 

None of these have worked - please can you help?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi Drops Out HP Win10

whist no doubt inconvenient, have you tested how the connection behaves when connected to the hub directly via ethernet?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Update the WiFi driver

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
AdamWifi
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No but I have tested on other WiFi networks and seems to be fine (no drop outs)

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@AdamWifi wrote:

No but I have tested on other WiFi networks and seems to be fine (no drop outs)

the hub is not a good wifi router - the reason for asking you to test on an ethernet cable is that if the connection performs well then you could consider buying your own wireless router to provide a better, more reliable, signal across your house.. it's worth testing before you shell out any cash though as if there are problems with the underlying connection then a new router is not going to fix it.. 

0 Kudos
AdamWifi
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, this is useful - would a powerline help instead of replacing router 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@AdamWifi wrote:

Thanks, this is useful - would a powerline help instead of replacing router 

apart from some niche use cases, i wouldn't recommend a powerline adapter.. they are, in my view, the least-good way of extending your wireless network.. better to put the money towards a decent router or mesh system.

0 Kudos
AdamWifi
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I’m really looking for the cheapest simplest solution here. I’m in rented accommodation so will be moving in September and plan on leaving Virgin at that point so just need something to get reliable interned while we need to work from home. Any recommends that are slightly less involved/expensive?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

understandable - on the plus side, whatever you buy should work with other isps.. generally speaking, ISP-provided routers are poor quality - enough to get you going, but limited features and built as cheaply as possible

you didn't give any indication of budget, other than as cheap as possible - whilst there's a diminishing return here, you really want to be aiming at the £80+ mark for something half decent

I don't have any direct experience with either of these products, but the brands usually get a good write-up around here..

TP link

ASUS

if you live in a 17 bedroomed mansion, clearly these will be inadequate, but either is likely to be an improvement if you're working in relatively close proximity to the router. 

i'd still recommend that you confirm that the connection over an ethernet cable is reliable/stable before you spend any money.. 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@AdamWifi wrote:

Thanks - I’m really looking for the cheapest simplest solution here. I’m in rented accommodation so will be moving in September and plan on leaving Virgin at that point so just need something to get reliable interned while we need to work from home. Any recommends that are slightly less involved/expensive?

I dislike mains powerline adapters for a number of reasons - can you simply buy and run a 'long' Ethernet cable temporarily - tuck it under carpets or whatever.

At least test with an Ethernet cable to determine if it's the connection from the hub to your device or the feed from Virgin's network to the hub.

I also agree with checking that the Wi-Fi drivers are up to date on the laptop - out of date drivers can mean a device will work on one network but not another.

A current issue, in some areas, is contention - the increase in people working from home means congestion which will only ease if and when people return to offices or if VM invest in their network.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!