Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Wifi Dropping out

Hi, Our WiFi keeps dropping out very frequently, multiple times every hour all day and night. Devices connected with ethernet cables are ok, we do not loose connection on these, just the WiFi drops out. When it happens the green WiFi indicator light on the router lights up, it doesn't flash, it just lights up solid. I have looked at all the instructions for the router and all over the internet but can't seem to find the same issue, the only issue I find is when the green WiFi indicator is flashing, but ours lights up solid. The router is a Hub 3. Any advice would be great. Thank you

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wifi Dropping out

It may be a good idea to carry out a factory reset on the Hub …

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing.

Instructions for Hub 3

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once a steady white and no other lights are illuminated check your system again.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi MikeRobbo

Thank you for the reply, I'll give this a go.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi MikeRobbo

I did the reset as you described and then also change my SSID and password back to what it was before (so I didn't have to change it on all my devices) and it seem to be holding together ok, no dropping as yet. I'll see how it goes over the next few days, but finger crossed, it looks like that might have done the trick.

Thank you for the great advice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So the above worked for about a week and then we started getting drop out again, but the green WiFi indicator was not lighting up. Then today it has started doing the same as before the reset, dropping out and the green WiFi indicator lighting up.

Is there a limit to the number of WiFi devices you can have connected? because we have quite a lot of devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Do wired devices also drop?

If not then think about putting the hub into modem mode and getting your own (better) router or mesh system whilst the Black Friday sales are on...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gary

No wired connections are ok. Any recommendations for a good router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Carl_Winsor wrote:

Hi Gary

No wired connections are ok. Any recommendations for a good router?

Depends if you want just a router or a mesh system.

Now is the perfect time to look with the sales on. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

We've been using an extender to get full coverage in the house and I would like to add coverage to the garage as well, so I'm starting to think maybe a mesh system is the way forward.

Do you know of a good mesh system?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Carl_Winsor wrote:

We've been using an extender to get full coverage in the house and I would like to add coverage to the garage as well, so I'm starting to think maybe a mesh system is the way forward.

Do you know of a good mesh system?

Have a look at the TP-Link mesh systems. Either the “M” or “S” series ones - don’t go for the cheaper “E” series.