Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wifi Dropping on Hub 3.0

Hello, I am having issues with our Hub3.0 (fibre) router dropping out every 30 minutes or so. I have done a factory reset, disabled smart wifi and found an uncongested channel, enabled 5GZ and that is also affected.

Not sure what else to do other than look at a 3rd party router (but then I would need a modem also).

Has anyone experienced these issues?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi Dropping on Hub 3.0

Do wired connections also drop?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey,

No, wired connections are fine. Just wifi, all devices disconnect for about 30seconds every 30 minutes or so (all at the same time). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have you split the wifi bands?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As in a separate AP for 2.4 & 5 Ghz? If so then yes and they are both effected at the same time. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I think it's time to consider ditching the Hub's wifi and getting your own better quality equipment. Lots on here have done that - I did it ~20 years ago and have never had a wifi only problem.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I was hoping to avoid this as it would mean that I have to use the Hub in modem mode alongside (just seems wasteful). It worked fine for the past year but it has recently started playing up (and seems to be getting worse).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am having exactly the same problem... 

2 new Hub 3s installed and a visit from a virgin Media technician and still the same problem. 

It can happen at any time but seems to be worse in the evening even when nothing in my home has changed.

Getting hold of anyone at VM is so difficult. I was on hold for over an hour last night and then got cut off when the call centre closed at 21.00

I may have to find my own solution to this problem! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you haven’t already, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” (as per instructions on the TB website) when you have the first 24h period.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos