Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wifi Boosters

I've recently been upgraded to the new Hub 4 but the Wifi is across my house and I've seen that VM will provide some customers with Wifi Boosters / Powerline adapters.

I'm currently on the top tier for everything and wanted to know if it's possible to have some of these Boosters sent out? Will likely need two to cover the both upper floors of the house.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wifi Boosters

Be aware that if the upper floors aren't on the same electrical circuit as the "master" booster unit, then performance may be disappointing.  My personal view is that "boosters" are a poor solution to the inadequate wifi from VM hubs.  As they should be free you've got nothing to lose by trying them, but personally I'd suggest you should be checking out a mesh wifi system that'll cost around £100 for something quite decent from (say) TP-Link to £300 for a dog's doodah solution (maybe TP-Link, but Asus and Netgear command the technical higher ground).  Avoid mesh systems from Amazon/Eero, Google/Nest as they're (usually) poor value for money unless you can get say a Black Friday deal, but even then they'll still be piping all your data back to the mothership, and your at the whim of companies that have a reputation for ending support for products that fall out of corporate favour.  BT Whole Home disks are similarly poor value, but worthy of consideration as they are a very easy to fit solution and use your hub in router mode, so very much "plug and play".

If buying any mesh system, make sure it has gigabit ethernet ports, otherwise that'll drastically choke the connection between the mesh and the hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm aware of the fun you can have with Powerline adapters and luckily my house isn't wired too badly so they should be OK. I was hoping this new Hub4 would improve things but if i'm honest its worse than the last one least for reach.

I was hoping a member of support would reach out and offer to send them but guess i'll have to jump through hoops to get them on the phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Don’t hold up much hope for them giving you any sort of decent signal 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Phunky

Thanks for posting and apologies for the delayed reply. I'll be happy to order the booster, we'd order one first, then see if you needed an additional one.

I'll PM you now to assist further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for joining me on PM, @Phunky

Just to update the thread, the booster has been ordered. It will be with you on the date we discussed in the PM. You can also track the delivery here

Please let me know how you get on with the booster

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos