Menu
sharonmac9
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wifi Booster with Ethernet ports

Hi -
does anyone know if the wifi boosters that Virgin Media provide come with 1 or 2 Ethernet connections at the top?
I am working from home and struggling with connections and can't run a 20mtr cable from my router and need to run 2 wired connections.
My other thought was - can I buy a switch to run off of the ethernet connection of the booster if it only has 1 port.

I don't want to sit on the phone for over an hour to ask the question.

thanks
Sharon

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi Booster with Ethernet ports

@sharonmac9 wrote:

Hi -
does anyone know if the wifi boosters that Virgin Media provide come with 1 or 2 Ethernet connections at the top?
I am working from home and struggling with connections and can't run a 20mtr cable from my router and need to run 2 wired connections.
My other thought was - can I buy a switch to run off of the ethernet connection of the booster if it only has 1 port.

I don't want to sit on the phone for over an hour to ask the question.

thanks
Sharon

VM no longer supply boosters, they have recently launched a wireless mesh solution called “WiFi pods”.  if powerline adapters are the solution you want to use then you’ll have to source your own. Save yourself the phone call and browse your preferred retailers website. 😉

0 Kudos
sharonmac9
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi tehwolf

thanks for your reply - silly question but what are wifi pods and what is a mesh solution - am I able to connect 2 wired devices to these away from the router?

I don't mind what I use - I just need to connect 2 wired devices which don't sit beside the router.

Sharon

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@sharonmac9 wrote:

Hi tehwolf

thanks for your reply - silly question but what are wifi pods and what is a mesh solution - am I able to connect 2 wired devices to these away from the router?

I don't mind what I use - I just need to connect 2 wired devices which don't sit beside the router.

Sharon

A mesh system consists of multiple WiFi access points that mesh together to create a wireless network over a larger area than a typical router could provide. 
many mesh systems come with a couple of Ethernet ports on each mesh unit so yes, you could attach a couple of wired devices to one if you got one of these.

the vm mesh system does not have any Ethernet ports. 

check out the tp-link deco range for a bit more detail.. 

edit: they are a vastly better solution to powerline booster, in my opinion at least.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Put hub in modem mode with a ZyXEL Multy U by wire and the other where you need it with two ports.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-WSR30-EU0201F-MULTY-AC2100-TRI-BAND/dp/B07M92TT95/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1...

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you just want more ethernet ports just get a 5-8 port Unmanaged ethernet "Switch" with GB poorts - these are £15-20 from the usual places - get a good Cat6 ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub too.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos