cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Booster Pods/hub upgrade

Rich4rd78
On our wavelength

Hi Guys/Virgin 

My internet service has reduced in its effectiveness steadily over the last year or so. I’ve had all the hub tests completed but now it’s constantly showing a red light. It’s overheating, and it’s well ventilated- it’s 3.0 hub and I’m nervous it will continue to get worse and break as I work from home. Is this something other people have experienced? I’m now experiencing 13/17 MBPS in two of my rooms (recorded on the virgin connect app) ironically, it fails to take a reading on one room because it’s a complete dead spot. One being my office. It’s dropped in certain areas of the room from an average of 270MBPS. So two questions if I may - can I upgrade my hub through virgin, I’ve had this one 6 years, and would  it be beneficial ? And will activating WiFi max help? I went to look on the website and it have removed the option for me. I just need some help, it’s so vital to me and my wife to have reliable WiFi - that’s why I’ve been with virgin so long, but now it’s stressing me out a bit. 

Thanks in advance, 

Richard 

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Hero

Change the Hub will not make a jot of difference to resolving any of the WiFi coverage issues.

Be aware the Hub 5s in Router mode have more bugs than a termite mound.

Thanks mate for taking the time to reply. I think I was considering the hub as a possible preventative measure. I’m hoping someone from the virgin team will get in touch in regards to activating Max for my coverage. I tried to get through yesterday, but was a bit short on time to hold.. has anyone had Max activated with the pods and does it solve the problem? 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Rich4rd78 

As advised in your other thread <<< here >>>   you aren't on a Volt package, or on the 1Gig speed, the Wifi max pod(s) would cost you an additional £8 per month.

I suggest it's better to get your hub sorted first of all since it has a red light showing and is overheating. I take it this is occuring even after a reboot and that the hub is in the open. I flagged this forum staff to look at due to the overheating issue.

It would also be a good idea if you could also post your stats which may show any other issues which may be affecting your service.

There are a lot of tech guru's on the forum that can look into your issues but when posting the hub stats they need the full details from the Router Status page. So please  copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here (not screenshots) – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. 

You should also set up a BQM monitor  at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Rich4rd78👋 welcome back to community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear about these issues with your Hub 3, and concerns about Wi-Fi coverage. 

I would advise in the first instance, let's get your hub sorted and get a new one sent out to you. I will send you a PM to confirm a few account details and arrange this for you. Following that, we can see if you are experiencing any issues with the Wi-Fi coverage, and offer further support with this. 

You will find my PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩

In the meantime, you can also see more information about Wi-Fi MAX here 👉 WiFi Max WiFi Speed Guarantee | Virgin Media

We can return to this public thread with an update when possible. Thanks for your patience in the meantime! All the best. 🌞

Molly

Thanks very much Dave, hopefully in the process of changing my hub now as advised so I’ll see from there. 

Richard 

Hi All! 👋 Just returning to keep this public side of the thread updated. 

Thanks to Rich4rd78 for PMing with me! 📨 I'm pleased to report confirmation that a new hub has resolved the issues. If there are any further issues please do get back to us and we can continue to offer help. 

Thanks for your patience whilst the replacement hub arrived and we were able to sort things! 

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly