Menu
Billynch
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Wifi Blackspots

Anyone had any issues with blackspots in rooms in your house.

I've run the checks on the virgin app but it's not coming up as bad?

There's definitely a problem as the tivo box on my bedroom is also connected to wifi and when you go into the settings the signal strength is showing poor. So when I watch programs on demand they often freeze and come up with the virgin error message. Restarting the box gives a better signal for a short time then you have to restart it again

I tried watching Netflix in the bath of my ensuite and the signal is so bad it won't stream either.

So I've got two rooms both with bad signals. I live in an old terrace house and the bedroom concerned is the other side of the house from the router.

Any help appreciated

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi Blackspots

I wouldn't bother with the Virgin app for checking the Wi-Fi.

use a good Wi-Fi analyzer/scanning app - several free ones for Android, inSSIDer or Netspot for Windows/Mac or even Airport Utility for iPhones.

check Wi-Fi environment and run speed tests with thir party sites (Ookla, Samknows) at the locations

Check for any interference from neighbouring hubs/APs.on same channels - try changing channels.

If you still have such issues get a good third party router or add an additional access point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos