Menu
Azzieman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Wifi 5Ghz Keeps Dropping

I have a super hub 3 with a 200Mb broadband speed. When I am connected to my 5Ghz wifi signal, I can easily get 200Mb. Which is great, But then everything stops and I have to connect to the 2.4Ghz signal and then I dont get a good speed and everything just slows up.

This is an issue that has started to get worse over the last couple of weeks, and I am wondering if this is a general fault with the hub, and if anyone else has the same issue? And what VM did to resolve this?

At the moment I am on 2.4Ghz because my 5Ghz is not working.  Currently getting 0.66Mbps download on 2.4Ghz.

Thanks

Aaron

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi 5Ghz Keeps Dropping

Your device may be looking for stronger signals, try this.

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it might not fix your problem but will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Azzieman
Tuning in
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks MikeRobbo, 

I already added the 2 and 5 at the end of each anyway. But I have just done the disable optimisation, so will see how I get on.

Thanks again. I will update the post after I have tested it all out 🙂

TR51
Tuning in
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi, any joy on this? I have the same problem. 
like yourself I made the same steps but the problem is still present and seems to slowly be getting worse. 

0 Kudos
Azzieman
Tuning in
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

No. Those options didn’t work and I still had the same issue. My issue was down to my antennas degrading and becoming problematic. My router has since been changed and the issue has gone.

0 Kudos
TR51
Tuning in
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I think I need the same, my router must be 5 years old. 
unfortunately VM support just keep asking me to switch it off and on again and do the pin reset but not much more 😞

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

What hub is it?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
TR51
Tuning in
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

So the current hub (bar the Hub4 for Gig1 customers only).

Have you explored getting your own router or mesh system to improve the WiFi?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
TR51
Tuning in
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

No, I haven’t. When it’s working it works fine. I believe it’s just deteriorated due to age. 
literally just signed a new contract in the last few days too!

0 Kudos