Menu
Benh2108
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

WiFi

Hi, new customer of 5 days here! Ok so, after 4 resets in 5 days my hub3 is still showing a yellow (not white) light on the front. WiFi tests on the connect app show poor or no reception in parts of my home. Can anyone offer me some help to try and improve the coverage? 
I have spoken to the “tech script team” but they say there’s nothing wrong after they run checks. I can’t get an engineer out as I’m not essential enough for a visit. 
help is much appreciated. Cheers. Ben. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi

Put the hub into modem mode and attach your own router or mesh system

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Benh2108
Joining in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hmm ok but without my own kit this won’t help my WiFi currently mate! 
thanks will bear in mind if I stay. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The hubs wifi output is poor and that's the only real way to improve it

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Benh2108
Joining in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Ah well back to sky then if that’s the case. 
cheers for the honesty pal. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

make sure you cancel before the cooling-off period ends or you'll be stick for the contract
0 Kudos
Benh2108
Joining in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yes I’m still in my 14 days so will get cracking. 
thanks for the heads up. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Before departure.... Which ISP were you with before at the location and what was the wifi coverage like with them?

If it was good, did you retain their kit - and what is that kit ?- you may be able to repurpose it on the VM Hub.

If it was poor, then to solve the issue you need your own equipment for that location no matter which ISP you go with

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Benh2108
Joining in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hey John, I had sky fibre unltd with a booster box and the Q boxes also repeat. Coverage was good all through the house and even the garden. 
now I get nothing at the back of the house at all. 
currently my service is like a Ferrari with its hand brake on!! Lol. 200+ mbps in but shocking WiFi. 
what are you’re thoughts, is there interoperability between those bits of kit? Cheers. Ben

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not great AIUI - but should work - others will comment.

TBH - I would never (never have!) use a cheap mass produced Hub from any ISP to provide wifi coverage around my property - they are not designed for anything but basic coverage in less challenging wifi environments.

If you intend to stay with VM and maybe increase speeds to 500/1GB or whatever... and make sure that the west wing, the east wing, the servants quarters, the attic garage and the garden are all covered properly ( 🙂 ) - you will need to put the Hub into modem only mode and provide your own equipment anyway - with WiFi6, Triband usage, Mesh capability, etc.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos