cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi

Wayne_
Tuning in

Hi,
I added 4 new devices (Nest Speakers) to my WiFi, They work but the ones furthest away from the router keep dropping out. Other device connections furthest away used to have some issues but now they stop working when in the same room. I can still access the internet but when I try and do something which uses more data I have to turn the WiFi on my mobile off just to play a game or I have to turn the speaker off and on to get it working again.
The Virgin Media Connect app does not work so I can't do any scnas to hopefully request the free Pods, it keeps saying not connected when it is.
I am pretty sure it is a Hub 3.

I have done a WiFi scan and fixed the channels at clear bands on both the 2.4G and 5G.

What can I do?

Also, does it wind anyone else up that virgin think WiFi is thought of as part of the broadband.

Cheers,
Wayne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi All! 👋 Just returning to this public thread to keep it updated. 

We were able to help order the initial Wi-Fi POD for Wayne - thanks to them for PMing with me and confirming a few account details to make this possible! 📩

Hopefully this resolves the issues with the Wi-Fi coverage, but if you do need further support with an additional Wi-Fi pod following this you will need to complete live diagnostics so another can be sent. You can do this via the connect app 👉 https://virg.in/connectapp or by phone by calling us on 📞 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a VM landline. 

Please feel free to return to this thread to let us know how you get on with the initial POD. 

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM only guarantee a wifi speed of 20Mb as wifi is very susceptible to interference.

You need to use the Connect app to identify wifi blackspots and the app will then allow you to order one Pod.  It is a bit flaky so just persevere and it will work eventually.

Note if you have split the SSID on your Hub, it will need reset to factory settings for the Pods to work.

If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up to discuss.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I have and do keep trying the app but it just says I need to connect when already connected.
It did work when I first installed and managed to run 2 scans 🙂
I installed it on another mobile and it says I need to connect on that as well.

I am not convinced it will show less than 20Mb either in any of the rooms. Seems more of a issue where the Hub can't handle that many devices.

Cheers,
Wayne

Hi @Wayne_ 

Welcome to the community forums. 

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your WiFi and connecting your devices further away. I have check the system at our side and cannot see any area concerns, or issues with your power levels at all. 

What I have seen is that your 2.4 band isn't on the best channel, we would normally recommend channels 1, 6 or 11. The reason for this could be that you have turned off channel optimization and have made changes to your WiFi network settings. 

I recommend performing a 60 second pin hole reset on the router. This will revert any customisations back to factory settings and full update the router with firmware/software updates. Please do not reboot the router whilst it is completing the pin hole request. 

Once this is completed, without changing any settings, please try the connect app in the room where you are experiencing the issue. You can also perform a speed test in any rooms you find blackspots. 

When you're in the room where the issues are, does the device pick up the WiFi signal at all or does the connection slow/drop outs intermittently?  

Please can you run a Sam Knows speed test on a PC / Laptop / SmartPhone / Tablet from the room(s) you're experiencing speed issues in and let me know the results. When you run the checks, please ensure you do not have a VPN enabled or have other devices actively using the internet connection at the time of the test i.e streaming / downloading / gaming etc

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi,
I reset the router and ran the test.
Connection seems to be a little better but the speed was 16Mb

The app still doesn't seem to offer any option to order any pods.

Wayne

Hi Wayne 👋! Thank you for getting back to us. 

I'd be interested to know if the Connect app was recognising your hub again following the pinhole reset? 

Sorry to hear you are still not able to order your pod via this method though. I will send you a PM 📩 to confirm a few details and give you a hand with this initial pod order. Please do be aware we can't help with 2nd and 3rd Pod orders via community as they require live diagnostics. But these can be ordered via the connect app and by phone on📞 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a VM landline. 

I will also just mention that you need to have Wi-Fi optimization with the band's un-split for the Wi-Fi Pod's to work. 

You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox, we can return to this piblic thread with a further update when possible. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime! All the best. 🌞

Molly

Hi All! 👋 Just returning to this public thread to keep it updated. 

We were able to help order the initial Wi-Fi POD for Wayne - thanks to them for PMing with me and confirming a few account details to make this possible! 📩

Hopefully this resolves the issues with the Wi-Fi coverage, but if you do need further support with an additional Wi-Fi pod following this you will need to complete live diagnostics so another can be sent. You can do this via the connect app 👉 https://virg.in/connectapp or by phone by calling us on 📞 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a VM landline. 

Please feel free to return to this thread to let us know how you get on with the initial POD. 

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

Hi,
The pod is installed and seems to have fixed my problems.

The connect app appears to be working again, I haven't had time to run the test in all the rooms, initial test was good and I don't envisage having anymore problems.
Not sure if the ability to order more pods via the app is working though.

Thank you,
Wayne

ekasboyan
Joining in

Hey, guys!

I recently switched to Virgin Media. Around early September, I jumped from BT's 68mbps max and went to Virgin M500.

The first month was GREAT. No issues whatsoever. Internet working perfectly fine. But as soon as that month was up, my WiFi started dropping like crazy. So here's the thing. It will have major issues for a couple of days, then be great again for 10 days.

I am getting wireless speeds between 2 and 13mbps.

It's across all my devices. The Wired has been great for the most part, but that once dropped to 330mbps.

I've called them up, and they've said everything is fine. Wired speeds are all good. I was told to perform a test on the phone and had 55mbps. She told me to reset the hub, and everything would be fixed, but that wasn't the case. I've actually contacted them a few times. I've had the same results, everything is fine. But it isn't. I have an engineer booked now.

I was just wondering if anyone has had the same issue and what fixes there are?

Regards

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Wayne_,

Thanks for coming back to us about your WiFi Pods! Glad to hear that your WiFi Pod has resolved your issues! 

You should be able to order more WiFi Pods through your Connect App after running tests. However, if you're having issues doing this and need more Pods, you can call our team directly on 0800 064 3850 to place an order. 😊 

Let us know how you get on and if you need any more support.

Thank you! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs