cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi switching itself off

alip
On our wavelength

WiFi suddenly stopped working this evening.

Logged on to the router - and it's disabled itself. I have re-enabled several times, but the setting isn't holding.

Any suggestions? And please don't say reset - I'm resetting this hub approximately every 48 hours!

13 REPLIES 13

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
get a new hub or use modem mode and get a better router
---------------------------------------------------------------

alip
On our wavelength

Rebooting again fixed it - at least I didn't have to reset this time! 🙂

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model is it?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

alip
On our wavelength

Hub 4. Only just over a fortnight old.

The settings now seem to be staying - at least, we reconnect after a reboot without problems. But I'm rebooting at least daily. (And the less frequently are days we're out... :-))

Hubby now knows how to reboot, but next time I want to log on before we do and see what the issue it. Whether it's the settings. Sometimes the WiFi is not there at all. Other times, it's there but insists it can't connect or the (saved) password is incorrect. A reboot always resolves it - but obviously that also disrupts the rest of the household!

The next time it goes, I will check settings to see what it's done, and ring again.

Alison

alip
On our wavelength

I'm on the phone to support now. Checking the settings again on the hub, it's disabling WiFi (both 2.4 and 5) and WPS. It's not possible to reset. It looks as if you're doing it (tick the option, click Apply) but when the page refreshes, it's disabled. If I reboot, it comes back on its own ... for a while. I have to reboot every time. At least daily, but sometimes more often (if we're in). It's every few hours. It's become the first task on waking - reboot the hub! I'm not expecting a solution here... just letting you know it's happening. Ironically we were given this new hub because ethernet stopped working on the old one (but wireless was fine... ). 😞

alip
On our wavelength

Well, I'm one tiny step further on. It has been acknowledged that it is not possible to switch on WiFi: this time they tried remotely instead of insisting I rebooted and then saying all fine. Call logged with someone else (unspecified) to try to do something more technical (again, unspecified). In the meantime, keep rebooting. 🙂

Could this be a new Hub 4 firmware blooper.

The Virgin Media WiFi policy that we have seen for Hubs in Router mode forces the WiFi to Re-Enable on both 2.4 & 5 Ghz bands.

Hi @alip,

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry you've been experiencing some issues with WiFi switching off. Appreciate this isn't ideal. 

I have checked our systems and can see you spoke to our team regarding this. 

How did they leave things with you?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

alip
On our wavelength

It's still doing it. On the phone with support now. At least one reboot most days, and a complete reset 5 or 6 times.

And I don't believe it. Apparently, even though the hub is switching itself off, and clearing its settings (so it's losing the network name and password), it would cost me £25 for an engineer to call because there isn't a fault. How does that work? I'm not happy. 😞

Just about to do yet another pin-hole reset (as I was asked to try that again - I'm assuming he meant a factory reset) and I'll then have to change the username and password back to what it should be... 😞