Menu
craigy3
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

WiFi suddenly very poor in other rooms

Hi. 

moved house on 14th of dec and took our services with us. New house has plaster board internal walls and our signal was/is great. Well it is when you scan. All rooms showing a full signal and according to the connect app we can use streaming etc in every room as signal is that good. But it isn’t. Kids can’t even play games as it drops out constantly. Was absolutely fine when we moved in but for some reason now it does this. Even though the app says everything is “Great”. We have even started to get buffering in the living room when watching Netflix which is where the hub is. Pulling my hair out with this one as I have reset the router so many times and it still does it gradually getting worse. But all “tests” show its fine 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi suddenly very poor in other rooms

Don't bother with the Connect app.

Try using one of the free 3rd party Wi-Fi analyzer apps - see if there's a neighbours hub on the same or an overlapping channel and so on.

Combine that with a speed test app which should show actual throughput as opposed to SSID strength.

Try changing channels - login to the hub and adjust in the advanced settings.  The 'Smart' WiFi doesn't always do a good job.

Ultimately you may be better off getting your own router with hub in modem mode to improve wireless performance.

Also check wired speed/performance and stability - to see if the 'signal' to your hub from the VM network is OK.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
craigy3
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What 3rd party app app would you recommend ? 

also how would I know if my neighbours WiFi is using the same Chanel ? 

thanks 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The app will tell you 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@craigy3 wrote:

What 3rd party app app would you recommend ? 

also how would I know if my neighbours WiFi is using the same Chanel ? 

thanks 

What devices do you want to use to do the checks?  Apple? Android? Windows?

The apps will show which hubs/APs are on each channel, and the strength.

You will be looking to see if there are any strong ones on the same/near that having your own network name.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
craigy3
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi. There is a mixture of apple and Android. And a windows laptop. 

was thinking of going down the ASUS router route 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You can download and use the free inSSIDer on the Windows laptop.

There are various free apps for Android - I use one called Wi-Fi Analytics Tool on a Kindle Fire which works OK.

You can use the Apple Airport Utility on an iPhone, but need to turn on scanning in the phone settings (and turn off after) but that doesn’t show nice graphs.

All in the app store or online.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@craigy3 wrote:

was thinking of going down the ASUS router route 

They’re fine, or D-Link, Netgear, TP Link and so on...

Get one with at least 1gig ports and AC wireless.  Consider if child safe and other features are important.

Mesh systems can be good to distribute WiFi around a larger property.

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

probably another victim of the intelligent wifi upgrade VM rolled out in Feb sometime.. log into the hub, find the smart/intelligent wifi settings (in advanced, I think) and disable channel optimisation.. see if that improves things.. 

0 Kudos