Menu
cathn
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

WiFi speed much lower than wired speed in same room as hub

When we connect our PC to our hub with a cable it gives us 220 Mbps (which is correct for our package) but when we use the wifi signal from the hub it only gives us around 20-50 Mbps.  This is in the same room as the hub, right next to it, and it's is the same low wifi speed for a variety of devices (laptop, ipad, phone, PC) when connected to the wifi there.
We have a hub 3.0 and have had it for a few years.

Is it usual for the wifi speed from the hub to be so much lower (up to around 90% lower) than the speed when we connect the PC or laptop to the hub with a cable?  Could there be an issue with our hub?  Should the wifi speed also be close to 220 Mbps?

I've used the VM connect app to check for any wifi issues but it didn't find any.

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi speed much lower than wired speed in same room as hub

@cathn wrote:

When we connect our PC to our hub with a cable it gives us 220 Mbps (which is correct for our package) but when we use the wifi signal from the hub it only gives us around 20-50 Mbps.  This is in the same room as the hub, right next to it, and it's is the same low wifi speed for a variety of devices (laptop, ipad, phone, PC) when connected to the wifi there.
We have a hub 3.0 and have had it for a few years.

Is it usual for the wifi speed from the hub to be so much lower (up to around 90% lower) than the speed when we connect the PC or laptop to the hub with a cable?  Could there be an issue with our hub?  Should the wifi speed also be close to 220 Mbps?

I've used the VM connect app to check for any wifi issues but it didn't find any.

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Access the HUB on http://192.168.0.1 and check the 'Connected Devices' section on the left. It will show a list of devices, wired and wireless, connected to your HUB and the 'Speed (Mbps)' each device is connected at.

For wireless devices this value must be halved to two thirds to give an idea of the speed to expect.

It also shows what band each device is connected to, 2.4 being much slower than 5Ghz.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi speed much lower than wired speed in same room as hub

That’s normal for the 2.4Ghz band. Split the bands and then test whilst connected to the 5Ghz band instead. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos