Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

WiFi slow to respond and some times disconnects

Hello,

joined VM about 2 months ago and lately I’ve noticed the WiFi cutting out intermittently and websites taking a long time to respond randomly. Let’s say I try and open Speedtest.net, the chrome loading spinner will turn for ages, then eventually it’ll load fine and the speeds will appear to be good enough to load a simple website quickly. Is this a DNS issue?

The Speedtest failed to even run last time I tried stating “a socket error occurred during the download test” - it says it’s possibly a firewall issue but I don’t have any software on my MacBook (I don’t think?).

I really don’t see the point in 500mb Fibre if I can’t even browse websites!

My setup is the VM hub, connected to my PC via Ethernet and all other devices on the WiFi. Not sure if it’s 2.4 or 5Ghz, it doesn’t seem to say? any help is much appreciated!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi slow to respond and some times disconnects

Is this happening on all devices?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I can't say I've noticed it on my PC but I've had issues on the TV, my Macbook and my girlfriends Macbook (all on Wifi). thanks!

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So the PC is on ethernet and it isn't affected?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I can't say for certain as it's not all the time (i'm replying to you on my laptop, loading the site with no issues currently) but yes, from what I've witnessed, it's only on Wifi.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Have you looked at the WiFi?
Split the WiFi bands, picked a less congested channel etc?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Please doo not post personal information like email address into subject lines, you are opening yourself to spam, I have reported to mods to remove it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Could you explain how to do that? I tried going on the local IP and nothing loaded (192.168.0.1), maybe this is incorrect. thanks!
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Are you running the hub in Modem Mode?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I don't know, how do i see which mode it's in?
0 Kudos