Menu
RobinB333
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WiFi regularly disconnecting

My hub 3 has recently started dropping the WiFi completely numerous times every day. All wireless devices in the house are kicked off WiFi (even devices close to the router) and the SSID disappears for around 20 seconds before re-appearing. Computers connected to my wired home network remain unaffected, so there is no problem with the broadband.

I have recently set up a UPNP media server on a laptop to stream music to other devices, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I think it's occurring even when the server is not running.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi regularly disconnecting

@RobinB333 wrote:

My hub 3 has recently started dropping the WiFi completely numerous times every day. All wireless devices in the house are kicked off WiFi (even devices close to the router) and the SSID disappears for around 20 seconds before re-appearing. Computers connected to my wired home network remain unaffected, so there is no problem with the broadband.

I have recently set up a UPNP media server on a laptop to stream music to other devices, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I think it's occurring even when the server is not running.

if you're happy when using a wired connection, then almost all hub wifi issues can be resolved by buying your own router/mesh system.  The hub is built to a (low) budget and i suspect that the bulk of the budget went into ensuring that the modem element and ethernet element work to a high standard (because that's the bit that they provide a guarantee on) any remaining budget would have been split between the other features/functions of the device (incl. wifi, web interface etc..).

Get yourself a decent router/mesh system and put the hub in modem mode, it will almost certainly improve your wifi service.  

raj_121
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Would you recommend a good mesh system?
Everyone talks about Unifi being great i have used their Access points and they have been good until recently where the same thing is happening where both the mesh system and the router both cut out intermittently and then reconnect (or try to in some cases).

I was thinking of getting the Unifi USG as a router, but I dont want this to be an unresolved case once I blow ~£100 on a new router.
0 Kudos
RobinB333
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice @tehwolf!

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@raj_121 wrote:
Would you recommend a good mesh system?
Everyone talks about Unifi being great i have used their Access points and they have been good until recently where the same thing is happening where both the mesh system and the router both cut out intermittently and then reconnect (or try to in some cases).

I was thinking of getting the Unifi USG as a router, but I dont want this to be an unresolved case once I blow ~£100 on a new router.

if you're using unifi kit already, and it's dropping out, then it's more likely (IMHO) to be the underlying connection that's the problem than the unifi gear. I'll have a look at your thread and comment in there.. 

0 Kudos