Menu
MatthewS83
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WiFi poor reception

I have Virgin broadband and cannot hardly get a WiFi signal upstairs, router is downstairs in living room, house is average sized so should not have a problem getting WiFi upstairs but when I try to watch stuff on TV in bedroom or if using phone it just disconnects all the time or buffers constantly, never had this problem with previous fibre providers, had sky and talktalk with no issues, is the virgin hub known for having a poor signal strength for WiFi? Any help would be appreciated as wife is getting fed up with it as well as I am, we are turning WiFi off on our phones upstairs and using our data just cos it works so much better, which is pretty crazy when paying for broadband. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi poor reception

The VM hubs are decent modems but pretty lousy routers!

Have you tried splitting the wifi bands between 2.4 and 5GHz?

You can do this in the advanced-- > Wireless section of the hub admin pages!

While you are there; disable 'intelligent' wifi too!

You can split the WiFi bands by accessing your hub settings - to do this, you'll need to be connected to your hub and type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

Hit Save and then it should work!

Bear in mind that you'll have to reconnect all of your devices to the new SSIDs

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
MatthewS83
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that I will try and make those changes and hopefully will help, cheers. Do Virgin offer any sort of WiFi booster do you know? Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

They do offer pods - Free if you are on the 1Gb or Ultimate Ooooooomph packages (£5 per month if not)

To be honest - Most people, myself included, just put it in Modem mode and get your own router - Much more configurable and infinitely better than the hub!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @MatthewS83,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your WIFI signal. We can understand the frustration caused and we want to do our best to help. Has the great advise given by @lotharmat been helpful? Is the issue ongoing and do you need any further help?

Please get back to us when you can,

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos