cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi not reaching rooms

Matt_dickinson9
Joining in

Hi

my WIFI is struggling to reach different rooms in my house I only live in a bungalow so there is not far for it to travel however it only really works in the one room it is installed in and struggles to reach anywhere I else in the house.

any help would be appreciated 

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this
________

Do you know if its a wifi only issue (ethernet connections are ok?), if it is - then On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings.

All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max see.-

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max & https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/intelligent-wifi 

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Matt_dickinson9 wrote:

<snip>   I only live in a bungalow so there is not far for it to travel

Hopefully you have access to the roof space?  If so you should cable wifi access points to maybe two additional locations in the property.  Use ceiling mounted PoE units as they are easy to fit and look like smoke alarms.  The cables for these would run from a small PoE switch located near the existing VM Hub.

I've done similar installs for family members and it works very well.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Matt_dickinson9 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear of the WiFi issues.

Please do as both jbrennand and Adduxi have suggested, however, we're investigating a potential network issue. I have sent this over to the team and hopefully will hear back soon. I'll keep you posted. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Matt_dickinson9 

Thanks for your patience. I have heard back from the faults team and there's no area issue identified, we'll send you a PM now to book in a technician visit.

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill