Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

WiFi kicking out

My WiFi seems to kick out every few days. To get it back I have to reboot the router. I have reported this to virgin support but, as long as a reboot solves the issue, they are not interested.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi kicking out

Do you lose connection when using an ethernet cable connected device ?

The cause could be something as simple as a neighbour's smart burglar alarm system making a report or someone using a powerful microwave.

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

if you remove all the internal walls, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from a VM Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is very poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No, wired connections are fine, just WiFi which is the issue. All connected devices kick out at the same time, so it's not related to 1 device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi DaveMcA,

Thanks for posting, I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling a bit with your WiFi connection recently. I have been able to locate your account and check out the back end of your services. Your incoming connection into the property seems absolutely fine and all your hub specs are fine, however we have identified that your WiFi network is congested.

Have you tried performing a factory reset on the hub recently? If not, can you please give it a go to see if that helps?

If that doesn't help, I would advise logging into your hub settings by typing 192.168.0.1 into your address bar. You'll then need to enter your settings password which can be found on a sticker on the bottom of your hub. 

Once logged in and at the dashboard, you'll need to navigate to Advanced Settings > Wireless signal and set both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless frequency channels to 'manual'.  From there, you'll just need to have a play around selecting different channels for both frequencies and then monitoring your WiFi connection after choosing a different channel. Some channels can be more congested than others, so this is why you'll need to try a few different ones to see which ones work best for you.

If you do need any further help after giving that a go just let us know.

Thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Or as Mike says - just ditch the Hub's wifi and get your own better quality wireless equipment

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've resolved the issue. I'm having EE installed at the end of the month and I'll be ditching virgin. I didn't want to do this but virgin don't give a toss about their customers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Got response from Virgin today but couldn't make out what he was saying so he hung up. Virgin are good at hanging up on customers.

I'm having EE installed at the end of the month so virgin can get knotted. I'll continue to pay till the end of my contract but I won't be using virgin again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi DaveMcA, 

Really sorry for the delay in getting back to you and for the experiencing you're having. 

If we were unable to help on the first call back then the team would try again if a few days, have you heard anything back since then?

If not then please let us know and we'd love to run some further checks from here, we'd hate to see you go. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Doubt he'll call back. Couldn't understand what he was asking so he just hung up the phone. Pure and total ignorance.

Anyway, I'm leaving.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi DaveMcA, 

Again our apologies for this experience, it's certainly not the level of service we aim to provide.  

We wouldn't want to lose you as a customer, if we can help with anything in the meantime please let us know and we will be happy to help.

All the best, 

Hetty

Hetty_R
0 Kudos