Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

WiFi keeps dropping out

For the last week our WiFi has been dropping out. The WiFi signal light on the hub is solid green, the light at the bottom on the hub is green and the light with two arrows is flashing green.

On the online help (which lights are in on your hub) there isn't an option showing this light configuration.

It tells us to check the coaxel connections, which I do, and sometimes this fixes it for a few hours, sometimes slightly longer, but then goes back to normal. 

I am having no luck with anyone replying to my sms messages or online chat from VM, and this will not be OK when my wife and I will be working from home next week.

Any advice would be very appreciated. 

Thanks, Phil. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi keeps dropping out

You haven't said but I assume its a Hub3?

When the wifi drops out, what happens on devices connected directly to the Hub on an ethernet cable?

Try a pinhole reset first. Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed ! If its not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub (it is a six digit numeric one).

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It tells us to check the coaxel connections, which I do, and sometimes this fixes it for a few hours, sometimes slightly longer, but then goes back to normal.

Probably not the connections then, but a power or noise problem on the incoming cable.  If the reset suggested by @jbrennand doesn't work, then connect to the hub, don't log in, but click "Check router status", then copy and paste in three posts here as formatted text (not images or screenshots) the contents of the tabs titled Downstream, Upstream and Network log.  Then we'll have an idea if the problem is the cable connection or your local wireless setup.

It'd help if you could tell us what devices you're having the problems on, as some devices are more finnicky about wifi than others, for example any wireless printer ever made, and iPhones. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying, 

Sorry, yes it's a hub 3.

Connection through an ethernet cable doesn't work either. 

Tried holding the reset for a minute and this hasn't changed anything unfortunately. 

Really frustrating. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. 

I can't see where the 'check router status' is?

I've ran various diagnostics but it comes up with exclamation marks saying I have a problem but no help on how to fix it apart from 'check your connections'.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK found it, here are the outcomes of downstream, Upstream and network log. 

Downstream bonded channels
Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR (dB) Modulation Channel ID
1 514250000 0.9 38 256 qam 14

Downstream bonded channels
Channel Locked Status RxMER (dB) Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors
1 Locked 38.6 0 0

Upstream bonded channels
Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

Upstream bonded channels
Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

• Time Priority Description
    01/01/1970 00:41:13 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
    01/01/1970 00:40:46 critical Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
    01/01/1970 00:39:49 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
    01/01/1970 00:39:22 critical Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Means nothing to me, does that help? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's a good start. 

The little bit I can see shows a lot of timeouts and that the hub hasn't got a good enough connection to pick up the network time, but the log is much longer than that - you need to scroll down and select the lot.  If you're using a PC, Chromebook or Mac try clicking once on the text, then hit Ctrl-A to select all of the text, then Ctrl-C to copy it all.  Then go to a new reply in this forum, click once to get the cursor in the text field and hit Ctrl-V to paste it.  When you press "post" it'll come up with an error message, ignore that and hit "post" again.  What's happening there is the forum software editing out personal data like IP addresses.

Now do the same for the Downstream and Upstream entries.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos