Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

WiFi keeps dropping off devices

Devices keep losing wifi at different times. Friends having same problems. Have rebooted box and no difference, any help appreciated thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi keeps dropping off devices

It may be time to refine your home WiFi at the Hub ...

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you WiFi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

Let us know how it goes.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How do u log onto hub?

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm having exactly the same issue! I get an exclamation mark next to my Wi-Fi signal at least 10 times a day and it's so frustrating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yeah its really annoying isn’t it! Friends are having same problem, have rebooted hub etc, but still happening

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I thought it could have been my phone at first but when I came on here I realised I'm not on my own with it. I've logged into my Virgin Media Connect app and it shows both of those things as broadcasting and I can't change it. Hopefully you will get a response from them soon.

20200202_183758.jpg

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As Mike has said...

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in http://192.168.0.1 into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it).
Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password for both if you like, Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.
Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.
You can also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so.
See if that helps - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back or do a "factory reset" if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have followed this advice on this topic and just wanted to say thank you very much as it seems to have worked! I haven't had problems with my Wi-Fi now for 24 hours which is 23 hours more than previously. Haha, thanks again for the advice on this everyone. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi John, is it possible to reverse the split? 

We have recently purchased a fire stick but it keeps buffering. Would reversing the split help do you think? 

Thanks Vickie 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No that won’t stop any buffering. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos