Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

WiFi keeps dropping - Wiltshire, November - last 5 days WiFi drops every 15 or 30 mins.

Per title, happened at end of October too. Got a new hub 3 then but problems continued then just stopped. Started again recently. Followed the online guides re factory reset etc. but still no good. Reading on coverage tracking sites I’m not the only Virgin customer with this issue, been going on for some since April. What’s going on and when do you plan on fixing it for good?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi keeps dropping - Wiltshire, November - last 5 days WiFi drops every 15 or 30 mins.

Just Wi-Fi? So wired connections also drop?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi keeps dropping - Wiltshire, November - last 5 days WiFi drops every 15 or 30 mins.

Hi gary - oddly it just seems to be the WiFi, the desktop and TiVo are wired and seem ok.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have you split the Wi-Fi bands and chosen less congested channels for the Wi-Fi?

Make sure the “smart” Wi-Fi is also disabled. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No, I don’t think I’ve done any of that - I’m not sure how I’d go about doing it. Is the guidance in the FAQ?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well I read how to turn off the smart WiFi etc. I’ve turned it off and changed the channels in both frequencies from Auto and 1 & 40 respectively to Manual and 4 & 44. But no help I’m afraid, still getting the drops. I’m getting close to going totally pritster over this.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish.

Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike - I didn’t give up and tried changing channels again. This time the new channel numbers do seem to be helping and the WiFi hasn’t dropped for awhile. I’m going to leave it for a bit and see if it’s stable now. If not, I’ll try the next part of your advice. Thanks again for all the help.

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@jonandtor wrote:

Thanks Mike - I didn’t give up and tried changing channels again. This time the new channel numbers do seem to be helping and the WiFi hasn’t dropped for awhile. I’m going to leave it for a bit and see if it’s stable now. If not, I’ll try the next part of your advice. Thanks again for all the help.

You can use a free app like WiFi Analyzer to check for the least congested channels in the local area.

0 Kudos