Menu
RevisedBigfoot
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

WiFi issue on laptop

My partner is losing connection on a frequent basis on her laptop, I am sat in one room with the router with wifi access, she is in the room next door and loses connection.

She thought it may be her laptop but has now got a new laptop and is still experiencing the same issue.

Any thoughts?

Broadband router is on, no lights. connection is good

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi issue on laptop

What Hub model is it? What make/model laptops struggle?

If she moves into the room with the router is it stable then?

If so this may just be a classic case of "poor Hub wifi syndrome" 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
RevisedBigfoot
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What Hub model is it? What make/model laptops struggle?

Hub 3.0, had it for awhile now. She had a Dell previously and now a Lenovo/thinkpad

If she moves into the room with the router is it stable then?

not tried this.

If so this may just be a classic case of "poor Hub wifi syndrome" 

Oh no!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There are tweaks you can try on the Hub3 to improve it that often helps. If not - better quality wireless equipment is a relatively cheap fix.

Try it in the same room. Is yours always stable in there or do you get drop outs too? Have you tried conencting one of them to the Hub by an ethernet cable to see if stays stably connected at all times ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
RevisedBigfoot
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mine is stable, i have noticed some connection issues when doing video calls on wifi however when connecting to ethernet its fine.

What are these tweaks?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Try this protocol...

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Bigfoot_2 & Bigfoot_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated and distinguishable - so you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.

5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App on a phone to check which of the 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and then move yours to one of channel numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
RevisedBigfoot
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, will give that a go and see how it goes. Appreciate the help

0 Kudos