Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

WiFi internet Advice

Ok I have a issue with the WiFi strength In The house for the Xbox Series X it’s signal strength is around 46% which is not good enough to play or stream Amazon Prime etc without lag/buffering so I currently run a 15m Ethernet cable that I have to put away everytime as the missus moans 

Looking for some advice would a WiFi booster make it better ?

Switch it to modem mode & buy a better router what one?

I did move the router to the room and hard wire Tv & Xbox everything else worked except bloody ring floodlight cam would not get no signal at all

tried the TP Powerlines the speeds were poor also

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi internet Advice

@A9XSJ wrote:

Ok I have a issue with the WiFi strength In The house for the Xbox Series X it’s signal strength is around 46% which is not good enough to play or stream Amazon Prime etc without lag/buffering so I currently run a 15m Ethernet cable that I have to put away everytime as the missus moans 

Looking for some advice would a WiFi booster make it better ?

Switch it to modem mode & buy a better router what one?

I did move the router to the room and hard wire Tv & Xbox everything else worked except bloody ring floodlight cam would not get no signal at all

tried the TP Powerlines the speeds were poor also

I'd suggest running an outdoor rated ethernet cable on the outside wall if you can.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

One of the best things I did with our home internet/Wi-Fi was to run 20 metres of external grade Ethernet cable on the wall between the Hub and an additional switch/Wireless access point. Many local electricians will do such if you can't DiY.

If you can't do that look at Mesh systems such as the TP Link Deco M5 - a two unit set is around £130 now, or £180 for a 3 pack.  Ideally though you'd run Ethernet cable between them for the backhaul.

There are loads of better routers on the market including from TP Link, Netgear and Asus.   They still won't give the 'whole home' coverage of a Mesh system.

I'd also start off be doing a Wi-Fi 'survey' of the home - you've mentioned '46%' - how was that measured?  Look at using a good wireless scanning app on Android, inSSIDer on Windows or even the 'Airport' tools for Apple.  Consider neighbouring signals and 'black spots'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

May I advise you to download and install a Wi-Fi analyser to show if there are any foreign Wi-Fi broadcasts interfering with your own Wi-Fi signals and where there are poor signal strengths..

From there you can look at refining your own Wi-Fi broadcasts.

I use this one ...

WiFi Analyzer Premium - Apps on Google Play

wifi-2

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos