Menu
davey2davey
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

WiFi intermittently drops out

I had broadband installed several months and as time goes on I am experiencing more instances where either the WiFi drops out on one device (or more) or I am still showing as connected to the WiFi, but there is not internet connection. It is making working from home extremely challenging as I keep getting disconnected from meetings etc.

The WiFi dropping out doesn't always effect all devices connected. For example, I was sat in the room that the router is located (approx. 2 metres away) and my laptop was disconnected, but my phone remained connected.

The internet connection dropping out can happen multiple times a day (I remain connected to the WiFi). Sometimes it seems to start working again after about 30 seconds other times if I disconnect from the WiFi and reconnect it works again (although this could be coincidental!).

Any help would be greatly received!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi intermittently drops out

do you lose connection on wired connections at the same time?

If its just a wireless problem its better to get your won router or mesh system
davey2davey
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I don't actually have any devices wired in. I can try that and see though.

Yes I had looked at but wanted to check it was nothing more than my WiFi signal strength before forking out.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You'd need to use a wired device to ascertain that for sure

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

although if the info is correct if you do not lose the connection on all wireless devices at the same time its not likely to be the connection
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @davey2davey,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing drop outs on your WIFI service. Have you been able to try testing service on a wired device since posting? This will help us best determine where the problem may lay.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
davey2davey
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

It looks as though the wired connection works okay. So it is just an issue with the WiFi?

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for keeping us updated @davey2davey

I have looked over your account and everything does look okay to me. Everything does seem to be running smoothly and there are no faults or outages. 

I have noticed that you haven't rebooted your hub in a while, would you mind just giving it a reboot and then we can run some further checks on your account. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

davey2davey
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've just rebooted now!

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks davey2davey,

Are things any better after the reboot?

If not - can you please have a go at splitting your wireless frequency bands?

To do this, you'll need to head over to your hub settings by typing 192.169.0.1 into your URL bar, whilst being connected to your hub.

From there, you'll need to enter in your hub's settings password (this can be found on the sticker on the bottom of the hub)]

Once you're at the dashboard, you'll need to go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security.

You'll then just need to change the SSIDs of both your 2.4Ghz band and the 5Ghz to something different. You can simply just add a '2' and a '5' onto the end of the existing SSID accordingly.

Now your network will be split into two bands. It's best to connect to 2.4Ghz when you're further away from the home and connect to 5Ghz when you're close to the hub. However you're device should automatically switch between the two based on the signal strength.

Let me know how that goes and if you get stuck anywhere 🙂

Beth

0 Kudos