Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

WiFi hub 3 dropping randomly

Been reading these forums and everyone seems to kind of have the same problem more or less..

I don’t know what speed I was at before but I upgraded to M299 fibre broadband a couple of months back and that’s when our problems started 

We can go days working fine and days when it would drop 3 to five times a day. we live in a two flat bedroom - no stairs 

At the start I use to call virgin and they said restart hard your router - now I don’t call them and just do the pin restart. I always check the virgin media app WiFi signal and it will say good service 

Last few days signal won’t reach out hallway and that’s literally ten steps from where the router is. We haven’t changed it’s position nothing has changed apart from the upgrade so feeling very frustrated. Am not tech savvy so reading the forums about pinging the signal or changing the channel have no idea what that means 

Any plain or step by step advice would be appreciated- in the mean time I am reluctantly buying a WiFi booster (two) even though I believe I don’t need this !! As virgin are saying my hub 3 is working perfectly fine 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi hub 3 dropping randomly

The Hub may very well be working fine, it could quite easily be some kind of interference causing your Wi-Fi woes.

Lets look at your connection ...

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish.

Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/340cb7544f015dcd4711bc50a47930e98ef2d5d3

I think I posted this correctly - please let me know if it’s not live. I want to say thanks so much for taking the time to reply 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It looks OK, it just needs to populate now.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just checked the network status -> network log for our router and there area number or errors , critical and warning saying synchronise failed, partial service and time outs - would take a screen shot but it has our MAC address and what devices etc  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Your BQM is a wall of red. Either your i.p. is incorrect in its settings (perhaps it changed recently?) or you Hub is set not to respond to pings - try this -

• Navigate to routers web interface
• Advanced Settings > Advanced > Ping > Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

we changed the settings last night as per my post (above your post) my partner and I have read some forums with the recent upgrade of the IOS it has affected dropping of wifi on apple products which would explain losing connectivity on our phones from the Hallway but unfortunately it hasnt fixed the issue

also i tired to look for the above - all i have is advanced settings > wireless * security* DHCP * Tools > ping . target (than i need to enter IP address) unsure if this is that
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry what is modem mode? does that mean attached to the ethernet cable?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Meralie,

You can see how to put the hub into modem mode here

Alex_Rm