cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi extending and WiFi calling

GrumpyCSP
Tuning in

I am fed up with struggling with my Virgin services, so I am reaching out to see if anyone can either help me or point me in the right direction for help. My problem is both with my Virgin broadband Wi-Fi and my Virgin mobile. I have Virgin Broadband, TV, Landline and Mobile phones. I have tried checking with the Virgin Media Connect app (Android) and it adjusts the Hub settings and tells me it is OK. It isn't.

I live in a centre terrace house, three rooms in a line front to back downstairs, and four upstairs (the middle two being above the centre room downstairs). External walls are solid 225mm brickwork and internal walls are 112mm solid brick. There is a huge tree at the far end of the front garden near the kerbside. I have a TV aerial and amp in the loft. My Hub3 is in the front downstairs room near the front wall. The incoming Virgin line is co-ax. I have a 350Mb plan and a computer ethernetted to the Hub3 normally gives that speed when tested. Virgin technicians have in the past sometimes said that my incoming signal strength is a bit low. Distribution cables go back out through the wall, up the front of the house to the loft where they drop down to the other rooms. I have attached a picture of the splitters and amps all installed by Virgin. I have TV360 - one 1Tb box in the front room near the Hub3, one 1Tb box at the front bedroom TV, and one minibox at the far end of the galley kitchen extension at the back of the house.

20221007_103540 (Medium).jpg

The Hub Wi-Fi does not reach effectively down to the far end of the kitchen where the TV and breakfast bar is. I have installed a TP-Link extender from by the hub to the socket by the minibox at the far end of the kitchen. The poor signal still often causes a TV 'Channel Failed' notice and/or pixelation from the minibox. The TV in the front room also sometimes pixelates, although less often and usually less badly. Wi-Fi is poor in the back one of the two centre rooms upstairs (my den) where I consequently have to have my PC connected to the hub by ethernet. In my den I cannot receive either the Hub Wi-Fi or the TP-Link Wi-Fi effectively, and the mobile phone signal is very poor.

The mobile signal here is poor. My wife and I have 4G Samsungs and both have Wi-Fi calling enabled. Both phones only sporadically switch from the Hub3 Wi-Fi to the TP-Link Wi-Fi or back, causing phone calls to either be missed or dropped mid-conversation. The mobile signal is not strong enough in the kitchen to rely on that alone. In the rest of the house it is usually OKish (except for the den) although people often complain of the line quality when I am speaking to them. This has been the case for many years and on different phones. I hardly ever use speakerphone.

So please does anyone have any suggestion as to how I can stop the TV faults, and also make and receive mobile phone calls reliably from my home? It doesn't seem to be a lot to ask. I have been paying Virgin a chunk of money each month for years and years, and I'm not happy with the quality of what I'm getting for all that money.

11 REPLIES 11

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The VM pods should work, and are an easy option. But just bear in mind that at £96 a year you could soon have paid for an alternative WiFi system that will be your own property to keep.  There is a wide range of alternatives, many of them recommended by users on here. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi GrumpyCSP, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the service. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the pods and the troubleshooting can be found here. You will be able to have 3 pods at the most or you can opt in to a different system. ^Chris.