cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi drops on mobiles after upgrade to hub5

Zalm
Joining in

I have just upgraded to the Hub5 and have noticed that WiFi on most mobiles is constantly dropping in and out. Seems ok on my Galaxy S7, but kids Galaxy's are constantly dropping in and out. They are not happy 😊

Wired connections are fine as does WiFi to laptops. Seems to just impact mobile phones.

Anyone had similar issues? 

25 REPLIES 25

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Tell them to move closer to the hub.

VM wifi had problems you may have better luck with your own router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Alan_B
On our wavelength

Yes exactly the same.....useless on Wifi which was supposedly why this "upgrade" was launched! 

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Zalm

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering with poor WiFi on these devices! 

Can I just confirm do you have any other devices that are connected by WiFi, other than the phones, that are showing similar issues?

I have been able to access your account and I can see the Hub has been online for nearly month. Are you able to try a pin hole reset? 

To do this push a pen etc into the 'reset' hole at the back of the Hub and hold it in for 20 seconds. It may seem simple but this can help refresh the connections.

Thank you. 

greenm54
Tuning in

did you ever get this fixed? im having the same issue?

Hi ash - I have tried that already. Since the "upgrade" to the new hub router WiFi on most mobile phones does not work - or works in short bursts. Other devices seem to be fine. There are not a lot of competing WiFi networks that should cause interference. I have tried to login and set up a test SSID, but there doesn't appear to be the ability to do that. Bottom line is - WiFi is worse with the new hub.

Hi greenm54 - nope, not fixed yet. Still issues 😞 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I suspect that the mobiles are switching between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands because the VM hubs as shipped transmit only one SSID for both bands. You could go into the settings of the hub and split the bands giving them names like myhome-2 and myhome-5. You should then connect the mobile first to to the -5 SSID and see how it works, then to the -2 SSID and see which works best for you.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Alan_B
On our wavelength

Hi Ash,

Did the hard reset. Not  a lot has changed. I have numerous devices attached, both by ethernet and Wifi. Ethernet seems fine with good speeds and data throughput, but Wifi is very unreliable. It drops altogether, or is very slow....so slow in the case of phones that they often switch to 4G instead to access data. Same for tablets. especially bad if you move more than 3 or 4 metres away from the hub. I've checked using some wifi analyser apps on my phone and it shows as a good strong signal, but it seems more to do with the data in the signal not moving freely for some reason, as if there is some sort of throttle at work on wifi. 

Any other suggestions, because the Wifi is truly shocking.

Cheers

Alan

MichaelKing1
Joining in

I have six or seven connections. Six or so wireless . 2 Phones 2 iPads One Mac One Alexa 

This is a similar issue I think.

But the point is my New Hub never gets my iPad above 3 whatnots on the google speed test.

Everything else works.

It is rendered useless and I depend on it.

But it works on son in laws '  SKY router.

It's a very puzzling situation I have been into the router management  system , I changed it to 2 and 5 meg usage .

But we both want solutions even after self help. Ideas?