Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

WiFi drops for hours at a time

Hi everybody,

I have been a vmedia customer since I was born (literally) and as an avid gamer can't see myself going with anyone else any time soon, however, with my professional hat on I am having issues.

I game using my desktop pc which is wired into the router via ethernet, and there are no issues at all. Good speeds as ever and reliable connection.

I also am now working from home, and use the same space for that, however use my work laptop and this is connected also via ethernet (for reliability) again no issues.

My wife however also works from home via a laptop in the room next door, and connects via WiFi, and this is where the problems start happening.  The WiFi intermittently cuts out, and sometimes this can just be for a few seconds (not a big deal, but annoying as she is on Skype conference calls most of the day), but sometimes it drops out for hours at a time.

During this period, I am still fine with my ethernet connection, so it's not the internet. I test other devices on WiFi (phones & Alexa etc. And they too are unable to connect, so it's 100% a WiFi issue). This happens regardless of how far away the devices are from the router.

Now for added information, it's the 2.4ghz WiFi that tends to have this issue, and weirdly it started to happen since the whole network went down in my area a few weeks back. The 5ghz WiFi still shows as available to connect to, but this is pretty temperamental.

I have soft and hard reset the router (pain having to configure it all again) and this doesn't work, I could go hours after a reset, and nothing happens,then suddenly devices will start to connect again. Tried doing some other things people have suggested like turning off a setting that switches between 2.4 & 5ghz, but I am adamant that this is a hardware issue as devices can't even see the WiFi being broadcy (if they could see it but have issues connecting that would be different I guess?).

I have tried contacting vmedia but because it's intermittent it's really difficult to know whether it's fixed or not, but as of me trying this post it is currently down.

Me and my partner both work for the emergency services, so it's proving to be a right pain and we have to utilise our phones and tether the internet off them which is pretty naff.

When the WiFi works it's great, but it's just so unreliable.

I notice that vmedia are upgrading people's router to the hub4 so to me this seems like the ideal solution, so if anyone from vmedia sees this, that would me much appreciated, but in the mean time to prevent me hearing my wife screaming every time see gets cut off a conf call, and there any solutions?

As an added note I currently use power line plugs for our ring doorbell connection which don't drop out (they don't use the routers WiFi) as a fix for that as we didn't understand why people were not ringing our doorbell until I discovered this problem, and although I could use the same for my wife's laptop, it's not ideal as I don't have enough sockets near my router.

Thanks in advance

Adam D

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi drops for hours at a time

You say that all is fine on ethernet cable connected devices and it seems to be just a wifi issue.  The wifi on the Hub4 is reportedly no better than the Hub3 - and has other issues - so don't consider that unless you have to have one on the 1GB package.

I will just say that VM Hub's wifi can be "poor" in some locations (but good in others) - you may be in the poor category as others posting on here are. VM will offer to help by supplying boosters and then charging you for them (unless you have a Hub4) - which is not a good deal.

IMO you ought to do what I and many others on here have done and just ditch the Hub's wifi and get your own better quality wireless options to solve wifi issues once and for all.

There are several ways to do that depending on the size, layout, construction of your property, tech ability, whether you can easily run ethernet cables or not and of course what ££ you are prepared to invest to get the equipment that is yours to keep forever.  The price range will be £50 - £500 depending on those factors above.

If you want some ideas on that just post back and people will offer opinions

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos