Menu
James47
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

WiFi dropping out

I have had intermittent WiFi issues for 3 weeks. Are very slow internet speeds and regular loss of connectivity (at least twice a day) common? Unnecessarily long waiting times on the phone line to speak to someone. Has anyone experienced any similar connection issues and been able to sort them? I’ve downloaded the app which is useless. I have checked all connections are finger tight. I’ve limited the amount of devices connected to the WiFi (shouldn’t have to) but still drops out and results in me having to manually reboot the hub each time.

Appreciate any advise

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi dropping out

First question as always... are these issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

And what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
James47
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply John. I’m having issues with WiFi connections. I Had the green WiFi symbol flashing earlier, not sure what that means. WiFi often drops out on laptop then says ‘connected no internet’ or something... 

not sure which other lights end up coming on but I will keep my eye on it as it will drop out again soon I’m sure 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And on ethernet ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
James47
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yeah. Only the tv box plugged into that but that also drops out when the WiFi connections do. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And the Hub lights show what ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
James47
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

When having issues the hun shows the green flashing wifi light 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And if the power light remains steady white (?) then its just a wifi issue.

If that is the case, You could try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands and switching off "channel optimisation" - that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for better kit.

VM will now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those.

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" solution that will be yours to own and use forever.

--------------------
John
--------------------

James47
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes the steady white light stays the same.

That suggestion sounds good once I work out what it means and how to do it ha! I will have a google unless you can explain what it means and how to do it? 

I had some issues this morning with the WiFi. Did something on the VM app (not sure what) but it reset or updated something and haven’t had an issue this afternoon. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos