Menu
Gracetho88
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

WiFi dropping every hour at same time

My WiFi keeps disconnecting every hour at the same time (13 minutes past the hour) on my laptop. It does not effect any other device, solely the laptop.

I have tried re boot and it keeps happening.

I’ve run the test online and it’s saying there are no known issues in my area / with the hub.

it’s been happening for weeks and keeps cutting off whilst on important calls for work, happened today and has become embarrassing now that I need it fixing. Trying this before I phone the contact centre.

please can anyone help? I am useless with technology 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi dropping every hour at same time

It must be something on the laptop that's causing the issue then if other devices remain connected.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As Gary says its nothing to do with VM - search for the solution on your laptop. Start by connecting it to the Hub by an ethernet cable and see if it drops at 16.13.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Gracetho88
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this - the reason I think it’s the VM connection is if I take the laptop out with me, to my dads for example. I don’t have the issue, I only have the issue when I’m at home. 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Gracetho88 wrote:

Thanks for this - the reason I think it’s the VM connection is if I take the laptop out with me, to my dads for example. I don’t have the issue, I only have the issue when I’m at home. 

Which is a different environment, probably a different WiFi chipset and so on.  Is your Dad using the same type of hub, from Virgin Media?

Is the drop always at 13 mins past the hour, or does that vary, which still after an hour?

Is the laptop running on battery or mains charger?

Does it do it with a wired connection, as already asked?

When devices drop connection intermittently or after a while I usually start by checking the Wi-Fi drivers are up to date - I suggest you do that.  If you cannot do that yourself see a computer shop or IT department etc.  The latest drivers are available from the laptop manufacturer's website or chipset vendor. Also I would check power management on the laptop.

There are some useful notes on different websites including this one;

Fix: WiFi Keeps Disconnecting in Windows 10 (techbout.com)

Don't bother clicking on the advert links or automatic solutions offered - they're usually a waste of time or worse - snake oil normally.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Gracetho88
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My dad has VM but I think it’s a different hub.

It is always at the same time - usually 13 mins passed however I rebooted my wifi and now it’s changed to 37 passed the hour and has been like that for a couple of days.

The laptop is usually plugged in to charge but it happens on both - it’s a work laptop so I have flagged it to the IT team.

No it doesn’t do it when it’s wired in via the Ethernet 

Thanks

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Gracetho88 wrote:

My dad has VM but I think it’s a different hub.

It is always at the same time - usually 13 mins passed however I rebooted my wifi and now it’s changed to 37 passed the hour and has been like that for a couple of days.

The laptop is usually plugged in to charge but it happens on both - it’s a work laptop so I have flagged it to the IT team.

No it doesn’t do it when it’s wired in via the Ethernet 

Thanks

Noted - get your work IT team to check the driver updates and power management to the Wi-Fi adaptor as I've suggested....       They may be able to do that remotely (take control of your laptop with your permission).  Put it on a wired connection for them to do so.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Hendrix2
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm getting the same issue, it's not a new laptop as I've been working from home with this laptop for almost a year now and didn't have any issues until the day I switched to Virgin from Sky

I cant connect via ethernet due to the distance between my laptop and my router

Does anyone have a fix for this issue? I've seen several posts about it over the last year however cannot find a solution 

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Good afternoon @Hendrix2 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post.

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your laptop connection dropping. 

As advised further up the thread, would you be able to contact your works IT department and request that they check the driver updates and power management to the Wi-Fi adaptor.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Hendrix2
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The fault is not with my work laptop/equipment as it was working fine before I switched from sky to virgin. 

a simple search on this forum brings up multiple threads with people having the same issue, so I know it’s nothing to do with my work laptop 

0 Kudos