Menu
KateStu
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

WiFi does not work.

Account [MOD EDIT: Removed] area:003

WiFi installed in October. We have a tiny flat. WiFi does not reach the back of the flat (single room, kitchen and bathroom). Meaning we are unable to home work and unable to use our baby monitor. Told we had to pay for a booster! So we now pay extra 3 pounds a month. Multiple calls made to customer service and not spoken to one person- just get put through to automated lines. Have followed all of the tests etc, still no luck. Beyond frustrated with all of this. Virgin Media you are failing to execute your contract of service. We need someone to come out and fix this for us so we can work and so our baby is safe.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi does not work.

VM do not garantee wifi at all.
What speeds do you get wired?
0 Kudos
KateStu
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

How can a WiFi service not guarantee wifi that we are paying for? I’m not technical so don’t know what speeds we are getting a in layman’s terms we are getting snail paced speed in the two front rooms and no speed in the back

0 Kudos
KateStu
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response though. So is this community forum for members of the community to fox virgin media’s issues? I’m not sure I’m understanding this...

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@KateStu wrote:

Thanks for your response though. So is this community forum for members of the community to fox virgin media’s issues? I’m not sure I’m understanding this...

Yes, this is a community forum where members, most of whom will be other Virgin Media customers, can share knowledge and information to help one another.  It supplements VM's customer services.  Many members are knowledgeable individuals who are volunteering to help out and give advice.  They may not even have VM services, but know stuff relevant to them. They don't work for Virgin. Some VM staff will also be on these forums and may take issues away to investigate/help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@KateStu wrote:

Account [MOD EDIT: Removed] area:003

WiFi installed in October. We have a tiny flat. WiFi does not reach the back of the flat (single room, kitchen and bathroom). Meaning we are unable to home work and unable to use our baby monitor. Told we had to pay for a booster! So we now pay extra 3 pounds a month. Multiple calls made to customer service and not spoken to one person- just get put through to automated lines. Have followed all of the tests etc, still no luck. Beyond frustrated with all of this. Virgin Media you are failing to execute your contract of service. We need someone to come out and fix this for us so we can work and so our baby is safe.

There are so many variables that can can affect Wi-Fi - range shouldn't normally be one of them in a smaller property, so there may be other things going on - and boosters are likely not the answer.

• What devices are you using?
  • Have you tried (at least to test) with a wired (Ethernet) connection?  Is that OK?
  • Are you able to use a free Wi-Fi analyzer app on your device(s) to see if channels are all busy with neighbouring hubs?
  • Are you able to login to he hub to change the advanced settings?
  • Does the baby monitor work over your Wi-Fi or does it have it's own 'transmitter' unit?  Baby monitors can often screw up other Wi-Fi services.
  • What make/model is the baby monitor?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
KateStu
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response. I did everything the virgin media robot over the phone asked of me. Including the app to test everywhere. I have a newborn baby and therefore do not have the time or capacity to be running around buying cables and testing things that quite frankly is not my job. It is the job of a virgin media workman. I no longer wish for any support to be offered by the community but am thankful for tour reply. I wish for virgin media to sort out their issue, not for kind generous members of the community to be trying to problem solve. 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

With respect, g0akc made a very valid point about the Baby Monitor.  They are very good at interfering with other wifi signals. If this is the case, it's not up to VM to fix this.

0 Kudos
KateStu
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The baby monitor is in its box - it’s not used and hasn’t been used , because we have no WiFi and it needs WiFi to work. This remains VM issue. 

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@KateStu wrote:

How can a WiFi service not guarantee wifi that we are paying for? I’m not technical so don’t know what speeds we are getting a in layman’s terms we are getting snail paced speed in the two front rooms and no speed in the back

VM do not sell wifi.

They sell cable services. They only guarantee services over a wired connection to the hub. 

0 Kudos