Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WiFi cuts out randomly, laggy connection

Hello!

We have been on Virgin media since 2016. Only since March 2020 we have had this issue where the internet will cut off for around 5 minutes seemingly randomly, then come back on again. I am also a PC gamer and randomly experience lag in games throughout the day. My PC is in the room next to the Hub, and has strong connection. This had never happened previously before March.

My sister has tried calling but has told me she received no helpful answers to this issue. I have tried all troubleshooting directions for 'intermittent'/'no WiFi available' on the Virgin Media website. We have a Hub 3, all our devices work on wireless.

We have tested speeds on all devices, and all appears the normal 200 mbp/s. The disconnections just seem to happen on random occasions through the day.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi cuts out randomly, laggy connection

Welcome to the Trials & Tribulations of Wi-Fi

VM do not and never have guaranteed Wi-Fi speed or coverage.

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate the detail, for clarity's sake I assume you're suggesting I just go elsewhere?
Could you reccomend any sites or sources to look into? I know Google is a good tool but hearing from professionals is preferable lol.
I understand WiFi isn't perfect all of the time, but my living situation with multiple people working from home over teams, etc. requires at least a somewhat reliable connection.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What I am saying is that Wi-Fi is not stable enough for anything other than casual internet browsing and is not good enough to support WFH.

Go into any office environment in the UK and I will bet that very few if any use Wi-Fi as their the networking method so why do people think it is good enough for WFH ?

If you can't or won't use ethernet connections the next best thing is some powerful Wi-Fi broadcasting equipment BUT you must realise that even then you may get interference on, or blockages of the signal.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

OK, got it! Ill look into getting better equipment. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos