Menu
tumtum63
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

WiFi constantly cutting out

I am having constant WiFi issues where every device connected to the WiFi drops connection at the same time. Then 2 white arrows stay constant on the virgin media tv box for up to a minute once they go away the WiFi will then re gain connection. This has been happening on a daily basis multiple times a day. I have phoned customer services on a few occasions for them to tell me they are tweaking my settings and the issue will be resolved but here I am paying a fortune for broadband that isn’t fit for purpose!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi constantly cutting out

Have you checked first for “known network faults” first?

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

Also, do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
tumtum63
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This has been going on for months now. There was a period of time where I thought they had fixed the issue after an email was sent out telling me they were doing an update to my broadband to help with my issues. Very vague I know but was willing to give it a chance. The latest phone call to them was yesterday where my settings are being tweaked once again (yeah sounds like a fob off) and I won’t have any further issues. Today the broadband has dropped 6 times so far. All cables have been checked router re set etc etc I’ve tried everything they have suggested. I do not have anything connected via Ethernet other than the tv connection to the router.

thanks 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So we still dont know whether it is just a wifi issue or a network connection one.

Can you connect a computer/laptop directly to the Hub by a good ethernet cable and see what happens on that connection when the wifi ones drop? This is just as a test not a permanent suggestion.

Also What Hub is it and what are the other Hub lights (e.g. the base power light) colour showing/doing when this happens?

If the ethernet connection remains ok and so it turns out that it is a wifi issue and not a network connection one then on a Hub3/4, try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" Then use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just use 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz)— that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address this, VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to “some customers” most will be charged £5/month and they dont have enough supplies right now to provide them unless you have a demonstrable wifi issue.

But at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi woes.
Get either a…

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
tumtum63
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have the hub 3 and the light stays the same colour which is white. Not sure how to do the ssid changes I used to have the choice to connect to either bands with my previous equipment but this one only lets me connect to the one band. The tv on demand goes down when this issue happens if that helps.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Actually, on second thoughts I'd better edit this post away....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You make the changes to the SSIDs in the hubs advanced settings; 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-configure-advanced-settings-on-your-hub

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
tumtum63
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I have taken off the ability to connect via 2.4ghz using the virgin media connect app. Last night no issues so far today seems ok although no one has been using it. Will make some changes in the settings as we have some older tech that needs to connect to the 2.4ghz band. Just a head scratcher as to what has changed recently as we have had the hub 3 for a while now with no issues at the start and now issues for a few months.

thanks

0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @tumtum63

Thanks for posting on the community forum!

Please let us know how you get on going forward if you've had no further issues recently.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
tumtum63
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Still having issues with random drops in connection of all devices. I have tried various fixes that have been suggested and still all devices drop connection at the same time. I have devices connected via Ethernet cables dropping connection at the same time as WiFi connected devices. No light changes on the hub when this happens. Connection drops out then a few seconds later 2 solid white arrows appear on tv box for up to a minute once they go away then the connection comes back again after 20-30 seconds roughly.

0 Kudos