Menu
tisi1973
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

WiFi connects but no internet

My sons Chromebook has been connected to our home wifi for over a year. We recently upgraded to a Hub 4, which worked fine on this Chromebook, but since Friday it wont connect properly. We keep getting a Network Connection Error - DHCP look-up failed.

Other gadgets like iPhones and Xbox connect with no problems and the Chromebook connects to wifi via my iPhone hotspot.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated - due to the current Covid pandemic, my son needs the Chromebook for home schooling and live lessons.

Thanks in advance. 🤞

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi connects but no internet

@tisi1973 wrote:

My sons Chromebook has been connected to our home wifi for over a year. We recently upgraded to a Hub 4, which worked fine on this Chromebook, but since Friday it wont connect properly. We keep getting a Network Connection Error - DHCP look-up failed.

Other gadgets like iPhones and Xbox connect with no problems and the Chromebook connects to wifi via my iPhone hotspot.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated - due to the current Covid pandemic, my son needs the Chromebook for home schooling and live lessons.

Thanks in advance. 🤞

Reset the network settings on the chrome book 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Go into the Chromebook Settings and navigate to the Network Panel and 'Forget' the preferred SSID and the reboot the Chromebook.

Then search out the broadcast that you want to use and connect.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
tisi1973
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. Tried but not successful.
0 Kudos
tisi1973
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tried this, still not working. Thanks though.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Reboot the Hub 4.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
tisi1973
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tried this last night. Turned everything off, at the mains too, left it overnight. Disconnected all the cables, put them back in and switched everything back on this morning & hey presto...the Chromebook is still NOT connecting! 😖 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Go into the Hub settings and check that the Mac address for the Chromebook hasn't been filtered.

0 Kudos
tisi1973
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have also tried this, the Mac address hasn't been filtered, and still no Wi-Fi connection to the Chromebook. Thanks for the suggestion though.
0 Kudos