cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi conflict Hub 5 and Linksys

Markliburrows
Joining in

"I previously had a Hub 3 and it was linked to my Linksys AC2200 Mesh System with 3+ nodes. Since installing Hub 5 the Linksys Mesh system keeps dropping in and out. I have replaced nodes, location and other set up to no avail. What settings in the Virgin Hub would help this? Thanks"

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As its a new Hub - you might try setting it up again following this sequence

Switch on and set up your own router or first Mesh unit (in its settings) to have its WAN port set to be in.. Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (and all Mesh units) and switch them off and unplug them.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

The key bit is....

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.
Switch your router unit on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and THEN put in the Cat6a ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John.

I may have misled, my Hub 5 isn't brand new to me, I have had it live for 4 months and initially it appeared to be OK.

However for the last 2 months or so I have had the drop out problems in my Linksys nodes.

Nevertheless I did try to reset everything as per your instructions, but I find when I go in to modem mode and restart, my Linksys node just doesn't initialise.

So I am forced to press the reset on the Hub 5 so that I can return to normal mode.

I have also tried to independently disable the Hub 5 wireless signal (2.4Ghz, 5 Ghz and Channel Optimisation) to see if that made a difference by removing the wireless signal in the Hub 5 which I thought may be interfering with the Linksys WiFi - it appeared to improve but not entirely resolve the WiFi drop-out, and caused other issues so I enabled them back again.

At this stage I have just gone back to the standard factory settings and living with the drop-outs.

If you have any other suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with your third party equipment when it's linked to the hub 5. 

We're unable to help with this I'm afraid however we do have a Gadget Rescue support team who will be able to assist. You can find out more about this here. It's worth noting that this is a chargeable service. 

The community may be able to offer further advice too. 

Keep your thread updated. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs