Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

WiFi channel issue

Hi there I'm a mere ignoramus in this area but as best I can describe the home broadband is dropping constantly every few minutes only briefly but constantly now for days. I did some research, downloaded an app and it showed my channel I was running was bad, so I changed to suggested channel. However when I do that, that new channel is poor and the previous is now good.

The issue is on the mobile phones, as the smart TV appears fine unless as it's dropping in and out quickly the buffering may cover the TV.

Any obvious things I can do?

Apologies for my cave man post, and thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi channel issue

Is it multiple phones? Also on the phone/phones firstly although this may seem stupid but check they are up to date. As for your smart tv is it wired or wirelessly connected?

If I Have Tried To Help You Hope It Helps:
I am fairly knowledgeable about technology in general and will try to help you to the best of my ability.

Sky World Customer (TV), Virgin Media Fibre Optic Gig1; Virgin Media Phone Package

Want To Contact Virgin Media's UK Call Centre?
Here's How:
STEP 1: Dial 150 (Virgin Landline) or 0345 454 1111 (Non Virgin Phone)
STEP 2: Option 1 for TV, Broadband or Home Phone

STEP 3: If The Number You Are Calling From Belongs To Your Virgin Media Account Select Option 1 If Not 2 (then enter the Virgin Media Home Number or press # then tap in Virgin Media Account Number
STEP 4: Select Option 4 - To Make Changes To Your Package Or Tell Us You Are Moving
STEP 5: Select Option 4 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us
STEP 6: Select Option 2 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us For Any Other Reason

UK Call Centre Times:
Mon - Fri 8am - 9pm
Sat - Sun - 9am - 6pm
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Firstimpression wrote:

Hi there I'm a mere ignoramus in this area but as best I can describe the home broadband is dropping constantly every few minutes only briefly but constantly now for days. I did some research, downloaded an app and it showed my channel I was running was bad, so I changed to suggested channel. However when I do that, that new channel is poor and the previous is now good.

The issue is on the mobile phones, as the smart TV appears fine unless as it's dropping in and out quickly the buffering may cover the TV.

Any obvious things I can do?

Apologies for my cave man post, and thank you in advance

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it might not fix your problem but will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

On the 2.4 GHz band there are only 3 channels that should be used, 1 or 6 or 11.  Where I live I can currently see 40 SSIDs using these channels. Therefore if you just hop around to another channel, so will other users. You’ll never get a good one. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos