cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi - 'Weak Security' on Apple Devices

Egon79
Joining in

So, I have a VM Superhub 2 that typically uses WPA2 security for WiFi. 

When I am at home and working from home (as I am today and as I do every Friday), there are typically at least 3 devices connected to the WiFi - my work laptop PC; my iMac and my iPhone. I have about 4 other Apple devices in the house which may be connected or not but I don't use them all at the same time.

For the last 3 weeks on a Friday - between the hours of 1pm and 3pm, something has happened to my WiFi which:

a. causes my laptop to lose connection and therefore throw me out of my work network via VPN and 

b. on my Apple devices, shows that the wifi is still working but has Weak Security. 

My work laptop won't connect at all to either the 2G or 5G and as mentioned, the Apple devices continue to work but report weak security. I am having to restart the hub and typically, after a minute or two, the security seems to be fine and everything connects without warning messages or errors.

Has anyone else come across this or can someone explain why this only seems to be happening on a Friday between the hours I've mentioned above?

Worth mentioning that on a couple of occasions I've been working from home on a random Monday or other days as well as Friday and it has never happened and I might be on an Apple device at any other time of the day/night at home and it's has never happened. It's just Friday's - just in the last 3 weeks and has only seemingly happened between 1pm and 3pm.

I'd like to understand why it happens and what I can do to prevent it because I have a web-based internet phone on my work laptop and I've been logged out of a call every single week so far because the WiFi decides not to be secure enough until I can get downstairs to reboot it.

53 REPLIES 53

Then you need to call and speak to customer service.

Billing and contract issues cannot be resolved on the forum. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Welcome to our Forum Johnhighfield and thanks for posting.

I've had a look at your network details and can see that there are some errors relating to your downstream power so we may need to arrange for a technician to take a look. We don't charge for replacement Hubs where your current one is faulty so if it needs to be replaced, the technician can replace it for you.

I'm going to send you a Private Message asking for some details, please reply back to it so I can help.

Thanks,

Lisa

Shaf78
On our wavelength

My sister is experiencing this problem on her iPhone. She is not that tech savvy & has asked me to enquire on her behalf. Could it be a defective hub?

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@Shaf78

EDIT:  Have you seen this post?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/iOS-14-Weak-Security/m-p/4410050#M324118

Cheers

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)